Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!,

I will be getting the AE-100 or 75U in about a week and am trying to plan out the setup. Naturally, I know I'd have to experiment a bit to find the ideal placement....

But are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages to placing the PJ on the coffee table vs. a ceiling mounting?

I hope to place it about 7-8 feet away from the screen, which is on the shorter wall of the living room (I attached the floor plan for reference).

Anyone see any potential problems with this setup?

I'd appreciate any input....TIA.

-sak

·
Registered
5 Posts
Being in an apartment I would definatly put it in a coffee table for a couple of reasons. Less damage to the apartment. I dont know if you want to keep your deposit. Less work. Putting up a ceiling mount is hella more trouble the puttin it in the coffee table. Another is wires. If you do a ceiling mount you will have to run the wires along the walls and those wires are not thin. I would suggest eithe putting it in the coffe table and running the wires back along th walls. Or you can do what I am doing is build a hush box out of a corner table and then the wires are almost completly out of site. And you can pick it up and move it no problem when you move. But I suggest puttin your couch against the west wall either way. Then when people walk in they will only see your sreen on the wall which is very flat and your speakers. Post some picks when your done.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Maybe inside a coffee table instead of on top of? :)

http://www.longbow-sp.co.uk/

I shudder to speculate on cost for this furniture though, haven't had the nerve to mail them and ask.

This might fall under the heading of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"? :) Of course, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My AE100 is sitting on the coffee table right now, but I'm scared to death that someone is going to fall on it, sit on it, or spill a drink on it. I'm going to have to find or fabricate some sort of protective box to go around it. I love those Longbow coffee tables though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would you be able to put your projector IN your coffeetable ?

I was thinking about a table with two stages : on the bottom one (where you normally put your magazines), you could now put in your high-tech goodie. Of course you have to be carefull about cooling.

I wonder how far from the screen you would have to go before you get some decent picture. I imagine that you need decent keystone correction !

Greetz,

Kris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sak,

I bought the 75u about three weeks ago and couldn't be happier....

Since my HT also doubles as a living room, a ceiling mount is not an option for me, so I'm going the coffee table route. Like everyone else, I'm concerned about protecting my PJ and want a coffee table with a bottom shelf that's open on both the front and rear. After searching around, I finally narrowed it down to a couple of tables from Ikea.com ($100 - $175) and will place my order tomorrow.

Good luck,

Sean

·
Registered
387 Posts
The longbow tables are brilliant, IMHO. You can even use a CRT projector in a living room with those without batting an eye, WAF should be pretty high if she gets to be part of choosing which table to get.

I guess the digital projector tables aren't motorized, seems like they have some other mechanical means of lifting the projector out when you push down on the top of the table.

Not an option for me since I need the projector further back than in front of the couch, even so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its good to read all of ur replies! Thanks.

Kimmo, like u said...I dont think i should even ask how much those longbow's are, I have a feeling they'd cost more than my entire setup :).

TIer, I will be going with the setup u described and will definitely post pics after it done.

and b-dog, beleive it or not I've been looking at the IKEA catalog this morning as well! I'm thinking about "Eneryda" or "Krukshult" but my only concern is ventilation. Which one are u looking at?

·
Registered
320 Posts
HI, I would put it on a shelf above the sofa and other gear beside it and shoot across 12-ft length. You can have kids and others walking around with out obstructing projection.

Artur.

·
Registered
283 Posts
sak,

I have a very similar room setup to yours. My solution was to 'ceiling mount' the projector. My sofa is against the back wall and I have a shelf above it. (Home Depot shelf brackets and white shelf). The projector sits on the shelf. As for the cable issue, I have a single VGA cable running from near the screen across the floor to the sofa. It then runs up the wall to the shelf. The cable is encased in a cord protector which is hidden under a floor rug. Overall, it is not too ugly and it works very well.

David

·
Registered
267 Posts
Or under the coffee table!

Scroll about half way down this page for pictures: http://lastrange.com/ht/pictures.shtml

I've been a bit detached from this forum for the last nine months but am slowly starting to watch movies again...

·
Registered
744 Posts
My 75U is currently ceiling mounted, but to get the projector at the right height for the screen and to get the screen at a decent viewing height it has to be down 16' from the ceiling. I don't bump my head but it is somewhat of an eye sore.

This thread has got me thinking about putting it in some sort of lift like those long bow ones. and sitting it between my primary viewing seats. I could sure make it look a lot cleaner than it does now and the thing is so quite, you'd never know it was on.

With an apartment I would either do wall mount or table, one thing to think about is the 75U has a really short throw so you may not be able to get it against the back wall and get the image size you want.

Josh

·
Registered
446 Posts
I bought a mid-level audio cabinet ($200). it will be placed about 10' from the screen with about 8' to the opposing wall behind it. The projector will sit on the top shelf within the cabinet and fire out the back of the cabinet.

My audio/video gear will be in the same cabinet facing the front of the cabinet. I will "dress up" the back of the cabinet to make it pleasing to look at. The lower 2/3's of the back of the cabinet will be fixed with the top 1/3 removable. Leaving the front glass door open while projector is on provides good ventilation. This allows me ...

- a fixed installation ready to go at a touch

- to use short video cables(I spent the big$ on those)

- to protect my equipment from mis-hap

Now I just have to get used to the big hulking cabinet in the middle of my room (actually it's 54" H x 24" W x 20"D)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Joseki,

You have it sitting on top of the shelf, or inverted and set to ceiling mounted?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseki
sak,

I have a very similar room setup to yours. My solution was to 'ceiling mount' the projector. My sofa is against the back wall and I have a shelf above it. (Home Depot shelf brackets and white shelf). The projector sits on the shelf. As for the cable issue, I have a single VGA cable running from near the screen across the floor to the sofa. It then runs up the wall to the shelf. The cable is encased in a cord protector which is hidden under a floor rug. Overall, it is not too ugly and it works very well.

David

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes. The projector is inverted on the shelf and set to 'ceiling mount'. Works great - and best yet, no screws to potentially cause the Red LED of Death.

In order to avoid setting the projector straight down on the shelf, compressing the buttons, I placed the projector on a couple of risers just behind the buttons. Without the risers, I found that the weight of the projector would activate one or more buttons. That sure made it hard to calibrate the danged thing!

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
tight

·
Registered
207 Posts
Some of these coffee table mounts look very low and close to the floor. Do you have to use a lot of keystone correction to project a correct shaped image up to a screen that is close to the ceiling? Does this create problems? How far vertical can these little projectors go before you end up with a trapezial shaped image? I though avoiding keystoning at all costs was the go, so to speak?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.