AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I'm flirting with the idea of mounting a 40"-46" TV on my ceiling above my bed. Still looking for the right TV, however my question comes into play regardless of the model I pick.

Every time I look for "ceiling mounts" I get results that show the TV ending up hanging from the ceiling in a vertical position. I'm wondering if I buy a traditional wall mount a re-enforce my ceiling, if I can mount a TV flush with the ceiling (screen facing down). Has anyone done this? Any information or opinions on possible damage done to the TV from running it "face down"?

Thanks for the input!

--RZ

P.S.

Considering:

Samsung UN40B6000

Sony KDL-40XBR9

Panasonic TC-P42G10

Mitsubishi LT-46244 (Soon Sold)

2x Polk RTI-A7

2x Polk TC-60i

1x Polk CSI-A6

1x Polk PSW-110

Denon 1709

·
Registered
635 Posts
If I were going to try this, I would think I would go with a fixed wall mount (not an articulating arm), reinforce the ceiling (like you said), and then mount it that way. My only concern here is the mounting points on the TV. I know they are designed to take the vertical pressure/weight of the mounting points, but not sure they are designed to take the horizontal/hanging force. As I recall, you are basically going to be relying on threads of a screw to hold up the weight of the TV.

What's above this room? Is it attic space? I would "almost" consider cutting a hole in the ceiling a little smaller than the TV and having the TV lay in the hole. I'm just not terribly confident the threads would hold the weight over a period of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed on the fixed wall mount. Good point on the screw threads. Good thing I don't experience earth quakes with frequency. I'm wondering about the TV itself though. Imagine running one face down...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I *think* plasmas are the only ones with an issue of what direction you put them. I don't believe the other technologies will have a problem running face down.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
The threads used on an average VESA mount will easily hold the TV if it is installed properly. A proper bolt joint does not carry the load across the bolt in shear even when the external load is perpendicular to the bolt shaft (in other words, even when the Tv is hanging vertically, the bolts holding it to the mount are not being loaded up and down.)

As for the structure of the back of the TV being sufficient to hold it in a face down position? Good question.

Your bigger concern should be making sure the mount is attached to the ceiling properly. I would not use just lag screws that you hope hit the stud because you located it though the ceiling drywall with a stud finder, but use lag bolts that go through the stud and nut/washer on the back side up in the attic.

Further, a Tv right up against the ceiling, hung in that orientation may have problems with heat build up. They are designed to hang vertically after all.

Lastly, what are you going to do if you want to roll over and lay on your side while watching?

-Suntan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im getting ready to install my TV the similar way but 0n a 7/12 pitch which is a 30 degree angle and should be ideal viewing. My concern is the TV itself. I have the blocking and steel reinforcement to hold a lot of weight. Im leaning toward LCD but would like any more input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts