AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New house and a new install. This time we have the pleasure of wiring it ourselves. We have a Sony SXRD 55" rear projection TV, yamaha receiver and Athena WS Series speakers. Problem we are having now is the placement of speakers. I dug out a pair of old omnimounts and think I should place the rear three speakers on the ceiling. The front ws-100's would stay as is (wife would love em on the wall) and we have a ws-60 for the center that rests below the tv but it's so far down there it can't be heard. My option was to take the center and mount it dead center on the wall, problem I think with that is the gap between the front of the tv to the back of the wall? Could I mount it on the ceiling and angle it down toward the listening area like the rear surrounds?

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I'd like to start pulling wire this weekend and get going. Any ideas, suggestions or if I need to add more info let me know what I missed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Why not try a simple matching LCR bookshelf types placed in front of you, before knock a dozen or so holes in the ceiling. LCR properly belongs up front laid over a (horizontal position) and best when placed behind a perfected screen, just like how it's been done for decades. Or nearly best part of century.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'd like to not have to re-purchase our entire speaker line, only a year old as well.

Just want to nail down the specifics. If ceiling mounting the center is a bad idea, then what about mounting the center on the wall around 7-9" behind?

Is ceiling mounting the rear channels alright? I don't have a perforated projector as this is a table top projector.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotik78 /forum/post/12930325

If ceiling mounting the center is a bad idea, then what about mounting the center on the wall around 7-9" behind?

Ceiling mounting the center channel is a bad idea (IMO), but I'm admittedly not a fan of ceiling mounting anything (with a few notable exceptions).

Wait...just looked up what those speakers were. The WS 60 is not an in-ceiling speaker, correct? Assuming not, then DEFINITELY don't mount it on/in the ceiling.

Why not just put the center on top of the TV?

EDIT: Wait...You snuck in a post before me. Are we talking about a projection screen or a RPTV?

Scott

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ROFL,

Love the internet and the "instant gratification" it brings, but getting the full scope of the question across via text is sometimes a problem.

I have Athena Technologies speakers.

WS-100's for the front L and R

WS-60 for the center

WS-15's for the rear L and R

WS-60 for the rear center channel (6.1) (we bought it so might as well use it)

The television is a Sony Wega SXRD Rear Projection set (no projector).

The room is a huge living room (1950's ranch) measuring at 15' x 22'. Nice rectangle however a fireplace in the corner, windows etc, eliminate us viewing it that way.

I have attached two photos (pardon the mess, we just moved in a few days ago) for you to see the room size and setup. I'm all ears as for suggestions, products for mounting etc.

Mounting the center channel on the ceiling (smackin myself in the head now) bad idea, how about on the wall behind the tv? I don't know of any other way to do this?

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Why not place a dozen or so surrounds fitted to the ceiling, this has been tried before in the UCI cinema at Tower Park Poole UK and worked out fairly well, during its early years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting idea for the surrounds, I just found another problem, the main door on the front of the house would hit one of the ceiling mounted speakers... Wondering if I can mount one on the left or right side of the room then compensate in the receiver for actual distances from the listening spot.

The center channel still boggles me.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
on-wall, just above the top of the TV would work fine. You want the vocals to localize "in" or very near the TV, otherwise you will detect the difference between where you see the actors and where the sound is coming from. Your ears are very aware of sound direction.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Based on those pics, I'd probably just leave it where it is. Ideally, you'd like to have the tweeters all at the same height. That's not always possible, but it's the guideline to shoot for. Angle it upwards a little bit and get it calibrated to the same levels as the main speakers and you'd be in business.

If you have to mount it above and it ends up being farther away from the listening position than the main speakers, your receiver should let you set the distance for each speaker. Just make the correction there. I can't tell how deep that TV is, but they (Omnimount) do make center channel speaker stands designed to work with thin profile TV's.

Scott

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it. We have all our supplies at the ready now and haven't gone to the installation phase just yet.

The center channel seems to be ok where it is however I did come up with another possibility along with the rest. A oak box that fits underneath the television raising it up somewhat, but then the center can fit directly under the television. A lot of extra work, not sure if I want to actually go that route but it's a fun woodworking project to be sure.

As for the rears, well there is only a foot of space behind our couch and the back ceiling/wall. Wondering if I can even place them behind us without the sound overshooting our heads?

It's been 5 years since we've been into this stuff so I think it's back to the whole learning curve again. I know it isn't rocket science, but in this hobby "anal retentiveness" seems to be playing a key role here

Probably wouldn't even notice a difference but want to make sure first, before I start drilling holes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts