AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LT150 has now arrived and I've given it a brief viewing on a "regular" wall. Looks good, but it's loud and I'm apparently very susceptible to rainbows !

My room layout is pretty much going to mandate a ceiling mount, and I'm considering a 92" x 69" Da-Lite Model B.

In this forum, the High Power ( Gain 2.8, Viewing Angle 25º ) seems to get recommendations, but would a Video Spectra ( Gain 1.5, Viewing Angle 35º ) be better for a ceiling mount scenario due to a wider viewing angle ?

If I should be considering any other screen for this setup please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'd go for a matte white screen if I were you. There are conflicting opinions on the hi-power, and anyway high-gain screens lose a lot of their gain in ceiling mounts, especially with the LT-150 because its short throw causes a large angle between it, the screen, and the viewer.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Well, this is a guess but I seem to recall something about high power making the rainbows stand out more. I would go for a matt white it seems to be the standard, projector are only getting better. Besides the high power screens in a roll up tend to curel this is reduced with the mat white. You should look into a fixed screen. If you can't live with the rainbows let me know I am looking for an lt150 (like everyone else).

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
hi Martin,

Like programmergeek, I'm sure I read that higher gain screens make the rainbow more pronounced.

A Gayhawk or Da-Lite High Gain Da-mat (Da-Lites' own grey screen) would probably be a better choice if you are seeing a lot of rainbows, as these screens seem to help reduce the affect.

Gary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm using a 1.85:1 (77"x42") DIY blockout fabric screen. The brightness is very even from a very wide viewing angle. In a controlled lighting environment, the LT150's image is still pretty bright with good color saturation. And I don't see the rainbows!!!

Not sure how a High Power would look like...but the brightness of the image on the small test fabric from Da-Lite seemed to vary a lot from different viewing angles. I placed the Da-Lite High Power sample against the blockout fabric and viewed various images (my projector is table mounted). When sitting down, the High Power was noticeably brighter than my DIY screen. However, while standing up, the brightness for both fabrics was just the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Last night, I took my LT150 over to a friends house and used his screen for evaluation. He has a Da-Lite Matte White ( Viewing Angle 50º, Gain 1.1 ) 92" x 52" screen in a totally light controlled environment.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The LT150 was about 6" from the floor projecting up to the screen, and I was able to position myself from floor level to almost ceiling level and see very little ( if any at all ) difference in levels.

However, I'm not going to have a light controlled room, and so I'm thinking about a screen with a little more gain to allow the PJ to be used during the day.

BTW, my friend had a Sony VW10HT mounted to the ceiling and we did a quick comparison. The Sony was great, but didn't have the contrast of the LT150. The Sony actually looked a little washed out. Color differences were noticeable, but we didn't have the time to run AVIA on both PJ's, so that's to be expected. ( The LT150 seemed to have a noticeable red push ) There is a HUGEamount of what I'm going to call "overspill" from the LT150 at all 4 edges of the field ( looks to me like unused pixels on the DMD ), and there is also a halo projected onto the ceiling above the screen.

And then there are those damned Rc>ac>ic>nc>bc>oc>wc>sc>[colo r=White]!!![/color] - yep, even on the "low" gain (1.1) screen they were very noticeable to me ( but not that much to my friend )

Hopefully I'll just grow to live with them.

Thanks

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.