AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It suddenly occurred to me that changing projectors frequently might make a mess out of my ceiling. I know many of you ceiling mount their projectors. How do you cope with it? Does it factor into your buying decision?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I velcro my projector to the ceiling, allowing for easy swap-outs. If you have a tin ceiling magnets also work well.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Buy a 'state-of-art' projector like the Marantz S2 and forgetaboutit!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
State of the art doesn't stay 'state of the art' for very long though...

Give it two or three years and even the S2 will be old technology. You'll probably be looking to upgrade yourself by then..

Gary.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm with you, Ernie!

Even two or three years from now, the S2 will still lead the pack! ;)

For the record, I gave Q the heads-up on the Velcro idea, since a guy I know by the name of "Al G." invented the stuff. :D

Also, if you use the magnets, make sure your projector is magnetically shielded. If not, any metal object in a movie you might be watching will stick to the top of the screen. Personally, I think it ruins the whole movie experience. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
"Even two or three years from now, the S2 will still lead the pack!"

It doesn't currently lead with respect to contrast ratio... ;)

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I and about 50 others on the forum would beg to differ! The only area the S2 doesn't beat the competiton is in color definition. The Sim+ is slightly better. All other areas the S2 wins. And in blacks, the S2 kills most of the others.

I am a professional Director, and work with shooting & editing HD all the time. When I get home after watching 1080p, I have NO qualms about the image on my S2. In fact, I enjoy it better. The Pro monitors I work with are much smaller and even through the resolution is better, the overall experience it much more fun on the big screen!

I'm not planning on changing for quite a while.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
And you can't swap the S2 out for a projector with the same throw since the S2 has such a short throw distance.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Hmm, Ok, I stand corrected...

The S2 doesn't currently lead in black level, colour definition, or contrast ratio....

And in three years it will still lead the pack. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, technology doesn't stand still, and what looks great today is unlikely to be the only machine capable of doing that (or better) in a few short years time. Don't forget the dimple fix and improved colour wheel...

The S2 IS a fantastic piece of kit, but in 2 or 3 years there'll be the S3 or S4 and you'll be wanting one of those (and I'll probably be in the queue behind you waiting to buy one!).

You'll see. :D

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
The S2 IS a fantastic piece of kit, but in 2 or 3 years there'll be the S3 or S4 and you'll be wanting one of those (and I'll probably be in the queue behind you waiting to buy one!).
I hear they're already taking pre-orders on the Marantz S4 ;)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
OK, forget about santellavison's comment about keeping the PJ because that was not the question.

You would patch and paint (QQQ's suggestion) to a time where you need to cut out the area of dryboard and screw in a new one, then use joint compound and texture, and paint.

And for the record, I agree with Gary. Even though I applaud your enthusiasm with your decision to purchase and keep the S2, it will be old technology in a few years. You may keep your PJ but I can guarantee you it will not 'lead the pack', nor does it lead the pack now (I have stated before that for you it does, for others it does not, it is all opinion and perception).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Chief mount. You just swap the bracket for one that fits the newer projector and the actual mount stays put.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.