AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to buy an angled ceiling mount for my pj, the Marantz S2. Because I had to mount to an angled ceiling, my pipe coming down from the mount is a little longer than usual, about 3' 8". For this pipe I bought a piece of galvanized pipe that is very heavy and probably adds another 15 lbs to the overall weight. I'd like to reduce the weight of this pipe by either drilling or blasting through some holes, still leaving plenty to be structurally sound. My wife thinks if I want to reduce the weight, I should just get an aluminum pipe (is there such thing as 1.5" aluminum pipe?) I have a 30 lb. projector to support. What should I do?

Also, what length lag bolts should I go with to mount the ceiling plate to the ceiling joist?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I used 3 inch lag bolts for my S2 and 38inch pipe. I don't think they make alulminum pipes like what we need at common stores. I'm sure if you looked around at specialty stores you could eventualy find one. The cheapest and easiest solution would be to do just what you said... drill holes in it. That the defacto way of reducing weight in just about everything, trust me, you don't wanna look under the skin of airplanes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jeffxjet, did you go with regular galvanized pipe and did you ever think that maybe the 3" lags would have trouble with all the weight? Would I have to seek out a machine shop to find someone who could drill through this stuff?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.