AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys tell me, is there a recommended sequence for lining up a ceiling mounted projector on a mount which has adjustment for Pitch, Yaw & Roll?

I would assume horizontal alignment is the first step which takes care of Yaw but what follows? I want to try and avoid chasing one setting after another if you understand what I mean so any guidance you can provide would be welcome.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
If you have a projector with lens shift, then you actually have more steps than a projector without lens shift.

A projector without lens shift MUST be mounted at the right height and then you just aim it at the screen and you are done. If you are to large on any side, then you blew the installation, remount in the proper location, or accept that it falls off the edge a bit.

A projector with lens shift...

Align the top edge first. See if the left/right sides are smaller. Turn the projector towards the side that is smaller. Use lens shift to reposition the image back on the screen. Repeat this process.

Once both sides are the same size, then see if the top/bottom is smaller. Tilt the projector towards the smaller edge. Use lens shift to reposition the image back on the screen. Repeat this process until both top and bottom edges are the same size.

Repeat the entire process until things are as exact as they will be.

So, adjust yaw first, then rotate, then tilt. Then repeat.

The entire process typically takes ten or fifteen minutes in a dark room and isn't that difficult to do, but does take some patience and some practice to get right.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Projector I am buying is a BenQ W1400 so lens shift is limited to up and down, there is no left to right its therefore absolutely essential that my lens is positioned exactly in the middle of the width of the screen and that I can do on the mount apparently.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign  /t/1522566/ceiling-mounting-set-up#post_24483397

The Projector I am buying is a BenQ W1400 so lens shift is limited to up and down, there is no left to right its therefore absolutely essential that my lens is positioned exactly in the middle of the width of the screen and that I can do on the mount apparently.
No, you can't do that on most mounts. You may have an inch or two of leeway with a universal mount, but lateral shift is not pitch, roll, or yaw.

You will need that lens dead center, and the best way to do that is on top of a ladder with the projector upside down and spending some time with it moving it back and forth until it is perfect. Then mount in that location.

From there, your left and right sides can't be adjusted. You will only have the second section to do (top/bottom) and you must be in the range of lens shift which that projector offers. Generally an inch or so above the top of the screen to a few inches above the top of the screen.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I already have the mount positioned on my ceiling having carefully measured from each side of the screen using two identical length cords to find the exact centre. I then offset the mount to account for the off centre position of the lens on the projector. I may be out by half an inch at most and that I can adjust out on the mount where it fixes to the underside of the projector casing. It's basically a round plate with three slotted brackets on it that can be adjusted to suit a lot of different protectors so there is some room for adjusting the position of the plate relative to the brackets.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice in setting up the Mounting correctly. I finished installing my new BenQ W1400 today after moving the mount back a few inches so the image properly filled the screen. It looks really good. I was able to shift the projector on the mount to trim out any horizontal alignment issues with regards to the lens being dead centre with the screen and then just trimmed up the whole thing using the Grid pattern so it all worked out nicely.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
That's awesome. Good work on that. It takes some time to do properly, but glad you got through it all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah its worth doing properly. I actually installed it yesterday but I was a bit too close and has about an inch of screen that wasn't being used and I just knew I had to move the mount today and re-do the job.

It looks so much better when the image accurately and completely fills the whole screen.

Going to Watch Gravity in 3D tonight which I have been saving until I had the projector installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts