AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the alternate ceiling mounts for the Sharp Z9000? (The one from Sharp seem too expensive)? Peerless? Chiefs? Which is better? Any links? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
I got a price of $200 for the Sharp mount, but was told the peerless was actually a better mount because it allows for more movement. I have no idea, I am curious to the answer of this question as well. I can hook you up with my dealer for the sharp mount, if this is even a good price, i have no clue.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Guys,

I had the old Peerless for my Mitsu projector and I currently have the new Chief for my Marantz projector. The Chief mount resembles the old Peerless mount. They were both okay with me as far as installation and adjustability, albeit a bit cumbersome.

From what I've seen on the website, the new style Peerless looks VERY simple to mount and adjust. If I had to get another mount, this would definitely be the way to go.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got a price of $200 for the Sharp mount, but was told the peerless was actually a better mount because it allows for more movement.

I have the sharp mount. It allows for horiz/vert and left/right adjustments. There also is an extension available for length. What other movement do you need?

Corey J

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have the Peerless mount. If you need the extension, consider another mount as it is very wobbly which makes fine positioning a hassle.

Bomber

·
Registered
509 Posts
I also have the Peerless mount for the Z9000. It is a ball mount, which makes it very difficult to set the projector level in all axes. After setting, it's kinda wobbly.

John

·
Registered
916 Posts
Guys,

I'm glad you brought the "wobbly" thing up. This is a perfect case of "newer is not necessarily better". I assumed (incorrectly) that the new version of the Peerless mount was going to be the best mount available. I also thought to myself upon viewing the diagram on the Peerless website that it didn't look like it was a sophisticated, sturdy setup. I wish they would have stayed with the old style for all of your sakes. In my case, I wanted the plate for the Marantz so that I could use my existing Peerless mount. They didn't have one because they were focusing on the new model of mount. I ended up with the Chief. It is very similar to the old Peerless. It's cumbersome, but sturdy. After reading your posts, I'm glad Peerless didn't have one available. :rolleyes:

Good luck to all of you!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm using the Chief mount. I couldn't use the standard Sharp mount because I needed a 2 foot extension due to my ceiling height. Got Home Depot to thread me a 2 foot piece of steel pipe (cost me a whole $6) and I ended up with a rock steady mount. I tried PVC pipe also, but it was too wobbly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, do yo need to use an extension pole for a 8-9 ft. standard ceiling? Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I made my own projector mount for my Sharp 9000 from the bracket mounts of a satellite dish (the part that attaches to the outside wall). The screw holes on the Sharp lined up with the hole on the satellite dish wall mount plate. This worked quite well and it cost me about $6.00. Very stable and easy for adjustments.

Then I had a very dumb thought. I spent his much for my projector and I should not be cheap and buy a "professional mount" for such a grand machine. My wife agreed.

I called up Peerless and bought there PJ mount for the Sharp. After I installed it on the projector, it seemed "wobbly". Adjusting it to line up with the screen was difficult for me. Each time I had it in the right place the projector moved slightly when I let go of the projector adjustment screw. At 17’ away from the screen, a slight movement meant it did not line up with my screen (very frustrating for me). Also if I touched the projectors to focus, it would wobble. The mount seemed to be unbalanced and I think that these commercial mounts are built generically for presentations projectors. Aside from the fact the mount did have a nice professional look to it, I found my home built mount far easier to adjust and was very sturdy. So I returned the mount back to Peerless.

Very happy with my home made mount!

·
Registered
339 Posts
PSB,

Whether you need an extension or not depends on where you want to mount your screen. The center line of the projector lens needs to be about even with the top of the screen. One approach is to experiment using the Chief mount and making up extensions of various lengths with PVC pipe. 10 ft of schedule 40 PVC is about $3, plus a few more bucks for fittings and PVC adhesive. Takes only about 15 minutes to build 3 or 4 different extensions. Once you have one you like, take it to Home Depot and have them cut you a steel version ($3/ft, threading is free).

If you get a Chief mount, don't forget you may need to get a ceiling mounting plate too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.