AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a projector designed to be floor standing (or floor sitting), and project the image on the ceiling?

It struck me that laying on the floor I see a big open white area, which (depending on the size of your room) would easily fill your field of view with a projection., as well as allow a number of people to also lay on the floor.

I am sure you can stand a normal projector in a vertical position, but they are obviously not designed to stand that way. I am also not sure if the standard lenses would have the throw for ~8' and get a big enough picture.

Just a thought.

Regards

Rich

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'd use a first surface mirror to bend the projection beam 90* to the ceiling. The projector should be level for proper airflow. A mirror will increase the throw distance too.

I saw an article or link somewhere where someone did a rear projection ceiling setup for their spoiled kid. Now that was a WTF.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric9887 /forum/post/19556633

Is there such a thing as a projector designed to be floor standing (or floor sitting), and project the image on the ceiling?

It struck me that laying on the floor I see a big open white area, which (depending on the size of your room) would easily fill your field of view with a projection., as well as allow a number of people to also lay on the floor.

I am sure you can stand a normal projector in a vertical position, but they are obviously not designed to stand that way. I am also not sure if the standard lenses would have the throw for ~8' and get a big enough picture.

Just a thought.

Regards

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/19557347

I'd use a first surface mirror to bend the projection beam 90* to the ceiling. The projector should be level for proper airflow. A mirror will increase the throw distance too.

I saw an article or link somewhere where someone did a rear projection ceiling setup for their spoiled kid. Now that was a WTF.

I would seem to me that the most elegant solution would be to cut a 2 ft. by 2 ft. hole in the floor and mount the projector there. Then add a optical quality glass plate to cover the floor opening. Finally since the projector will need proper airflow to prevent overheating you could install an small AC unit just to keep the projector chamber cool. Or on the other hand I guess Rich could just use a chair and a screen, but that would be soooo horizontal.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
how about just mounting the pj on the ceiling and point/aim it at the floor and you could actually be "in the movie"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts