AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put in a drop ceiling. I was wondering if ppl here had suggestions to go with a drop ceiling vs dry wall? My HT will take up about 65% of the Open layout of my basement. The HT will not be a room to its own. My first thoughts were to put in a drop ceiling. What suggestions do you all have for going with drop vs drywall.. if drop is fine, im sure going with the normal drop ceiling from Home Depot isn't the #1 most suggested way to go.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I suggest drywall for sound proofing & to give more height to the room.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like drywall. The reason I hear for someone using a drop ceiling in the basement is so they have access to the pipes and wires. But there is not the same concern for the 1st floor on a 2 story home - so why is there a concern for basement ceilings? Make the basement ceiling like all the other ceilings in the house

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You opening up a can of worms DSLethal

Since you did let me chime in. I did both, drywall in the theater room and drop in the rest of the basement. You can use a system called ceiling max which screws into the joist and saves you about 4 out of the 6 inches you would normally lose with a drop ceiling.

Now the reason I did drop is "yes" because I wanted to maintain sufficient access to clean outs and such which were prodominent in the area where I did the drop.

Now a bit of caveat. The drop ceiling system, ceilingmax or traditional is rather expensive. I could have probably drywalled the same areas for less than about 1/3 the price I spent on the entire ceiling max grid and tiles. The other thing with the ceiling max is that it is not as accessible as I would have first imagined. In fact in order to get access to the area you want you have to do a fair amount of deconstruction of the grid.

So do I still have access, yes. Is it as easy as I would have liked, no. If your at all handy with drywall repair or can strategically place access panels where need be, I would opt for drywall this time around.

Good luck, hope it helped.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
As many before and after will fill in the debate about whether you should or should not go drop vs drywall, I'll leave that alone.

As noted, Ceilingmax is available at the local Menards and Home Depot (I assume Lowes would have it too.) It allows for installation right up against the floor joists so you don't lose any height vs. a doubled up drywall ceiling (the very rare around here single layer of drywall will gain you ½ to 3/8 of an inch if you are *really* keeping close tabs on your height allocation)

In addition, you can buy Ceiling Link directly from the manufacturer at prices that are better than the ceiling max you can get at the local HW stores. They also offer black channels for not too much more. It will save you a lot of tedious spray paint time if you are looking to put up a black ceiling.

http://www.ceilinglink.com/

As for the actual tiles, you've got your regular fiberboard looks like a school classroom boards, but you can also get decorative tiles. Again Menards and HD seem to be starting to carry some of these, I saw a display of them when I was in that section of the local Menards just last night.

Alternatively, you can direct order decorative panels from http://www.ceilume.com/ they currently are offering 3 sample panels with free shipping (it used to cost about $11 for the samples) and you get a 5% or so discount coupon in the sample box when it arrives.

Drop ceilings can offer a neat look to the room (there is certainly more out there than just what you remember from staring up at the ceiling in English Lit class back in highschool) but it will cost more than a comparable DIY drywalled ceiling (although I don't know what the cost difference would be if you DIY the drop ceiling, but paid a crew to hang/mud/texture a drywalled ceiling.)

I am personally installing black ceiling link channel and black Stratford style Ceilume tiles in my HT. I'd give you an opinion about it, but the tiles are still sitting in their shipping boxes and the ceiling link should be delivered tomorrow.

-Suntan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts