AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a typical basement that we are installing a ht in. The room is 23x13 with 8 ft ceilings. However, as in many basements the ceiling lowers in several locations by about a 6 inches for plumbing and duct work. One section along the side, one the back and a big section (4 ft deep and the width of the room). Here is a picture that shows some of it (the stuff in the room is from the previous owners!)

I would like the ceiling more level. Should I have it all drywalled down? How about a drop ceiling? Or what about trying to create a tray ceiling look? I am not sure what would be easiest for the diy'er, the most cost effective and most acoustically appealing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would be a reasonable cost for drop ceiling in this size room? And any more opinions whether this is a diy project or not?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just got a bid on 1200 square foot drop ceiling for 1600. They can be done by the DIYer but you should have a good handle on basic carpentry skills (using a leavel, measuring, cutting etc.) They are easiest to put in flat if you have a rotating laser level but that's not a necesity.

Andy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
> I would like the ceiling more level. Should I have it all drywalled down?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am confused as well which would be a better acoustic solution. But I really would like to know what would also be easier diy solution and most aesthetic. What do you guys think would be easier drywall or drop? I have no experience with either.

·
Registered
375 Posts
um....

The acoustics in the room are helped by being sealed off from the rest of the world in that the outside world does not get in and that the sound does not get out. Any time you have a leak in the room it affects the acoustics negatively and it gets harder to control the sound. Really, good acoustics is just controlling the sound so you could theorectically have a room that is open on one side and in which the surfaces are all different but with different control devices (bass trapping, early reflection absorption and a number of other techniques to control the sound, you could have a perfectly balanced and acoustically "good" room. Aside from the noise made by ac systems and common returns often associated with drop ceilings, they don't necessarily adversely affect the sound quality. A lot of that depends on what is on the other side of the ceiling. I would think it could be used well if you sheet-rocked the ceiling above the drop ceiling and just used the drop to help control early reflections and for asthetics.

Of course, I could be wrong about some of this but that's my two centc worth.

Andy

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While both may be the best solution, I cant justify that expense. I am just trying to find a easy diy solution that provides good cosmetic appeal and some acoustic benefits. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ethan: Thanks for the clarification. Good to know.

A&M: As was pointed out to me in another thread recently, you can get good results (ie, better than acceptable to the average joe) from a variety of different approaches. But if your criteria are "easiest, most cost effective, and acoustically appealing," then it appears you have to define "easy" and "acoustically appealing" for those with the first-hand experience to make a single recommendation. (I don't have the first-hand experience with either, so I won't even try.)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Ethan,

I am in the process of installing a Drop Ceiling with 2x2 Drywall tiles I purchased. My "first" goal is to isolate as much sound as I can using a drop ceiling, so I stuffed the joists with R-19 and using drywall tiles.

I plan on using the mirror technique on the ceiling, and for the areas that need to be treated for first order reflections, I plan on cutting OC703 into 2x2 squares, wrapping them in black fabric, and placing them in the drop ceiling opposed to the tiles.

Do you think this will be a good start along with my Absorption Panels on the walls, or do you see a major problem with this?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley
Ethan,

I am in the process of installing a Drop Ceiling with 2x2 Drywall tiles I purchased. My "first" goal is to isolate as much sound as I can using a drop ceiling, so I stuffed the joists with R-19 and using drywall tiles.

I plan on using the mirror technique on the ceiling, and for the areas that need to be treated for first order reflections, I plan on cutting OC703 into 2x2 squares, wrapping them in black fabric, and placing them in the drop ceiling opposed to the tiles.

Do you think this will be a good start along with my Absorption Panels on the walls, or do you see a major problem with this?

Only caution is putting in too much absorption because it will suck the life out of the room.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did see the recent thread but I still have questions. I guess what I am looking for is something that I can do myself and wont set me back a ton. Some of us have budgets! But at the same time I dont want the room to sound like a big boom box. I am not trying for a perfect sounding room but if I am going to the time to put up acoustic treatment on the walls I dont wont my ceiling work negate all the work. Isolation isnt a huge concern, not kids or bedrooms above the ht.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Thanks Ethan,

I have a drop ceiling in the family room downstairs that use the Drywall tiles (but no insulation in the ceiling). I am quite impressed with how well it does to keep sound from coming upstairs. Obviously I hear the deep bass, but not much of the highs. So, I'm hoping that with my HT room NOT being under the bedrooms, the use of insulation and the drywall tiles, it will be decent.

Oh yes....Bass Traps are in my future.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Been there, done that... I hate small basements with ductwork that hangs down... I would NOT drywall or dropceiling the same level as the duct work... its going to make the room way to confining.

Our new home has 10ft ceilings in the basement and all ductwork up in the trusses for true 10ft height everywhere.... yeah, its a luxury, but I'm 40 years old and have had enough crap in the past.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks ethan.

mark,

So you would just make do with the uneven ceiling? The final height of the ceiling would be 7'6. To low you say? What about crown to soften all the edges?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.