AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have slight ceiling reflections above my screen that stretches almost to my (6pg+)

the brighter the sceen the more reflection...

its not to distracting except id rather my room remain dark...

my ceiling is painted flat black...

is this normal????

or should there be none.

thanks-

Tommy

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I sound like a broken record on this, but I ended up moving to a fabric ceiling (GoM black FR701 stretched over 1x1 wood frames acting like large ceiling "tiles") because I was very unhappy with my flat black ceiling...no matter what I did, every flat black paint I tried threw fairly obnoxious reflections. I think some degree of reflection is normal with *any* painted surface, but you might have better luck with an 18% Kodak grey type paint. The difference between the GoM and the painted surface is dramatic; I just wish I hadn't wasted any money on putting 5 coats of black paint up before moving to the fabric.

With GoM FR701 on all wall surfaces and the ceiling, the biggest reflector now is the carpet--and it's an almost black/grey heather that is *very* dark. I guess a totally black carpet would improve the situation, but I'm not sure my marriage would survive the change.

EDIT: Ooops, I just remembered all the time you invested in the fiber optic ceiling...I don't know if that could be "fixed" to fit into a fabric ceiling very easily.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Try dropping the screen about 3". I use a white wall (gasp!) with a white ceiling, and the reflections were pure hell. Then this weekend I shrunk the raster about 3" and lo and behold, a big improvement.

Curt

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks-

fiber optics=no Grey ceiling or fabric....

so what are other CRT/Theater owners doing...

do you have some reflection,

Just to clarify,it doesn't really bother me,yet i just want to find out if this is normal.....

thanks-

Tommy

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
Try dropping the screen about 3". I use a white wall (gasp!) with a white ceiling, and the reflections were pure hell. Then this weekend I shrunk the raster about 3" and lo and behold, a big improvement.

Curt
thanks Curt,

being a CRT newbie....

what would this do to my throw distance(6PG+)

Tommy

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Nothing. Just tilt the projector down and touch up the convergence.

Curt

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have flat black ceiling tiles, and the reflection on the ceiling is very insignificant. Of course the single biggest improvement was when I added black velour drapes surrounding my screen. This too aids in diminishing the reflections back from the screen and improves the apparent contrast ratio.

Here's a pic of my front screen wall...(and yes all lights are full on)

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...newtheater.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.