AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a bit about soundproofing ideas and green glue seems to be quite popular. Just wondering if anyone has heard of using it between the sheetrock and ceiling joists as an inexpensive option instead of double sheetrock or in addition to between double sheetrocking as recommended on their website.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm guessing it won't have much effect this way. As I understand it, it works in conjunction with the double layers to damp the sound, turning vibrations into heat. While it may have some effect between the joists and a single layer of sheetrock, you won't get anywhere near the benefits as GG between two layers of sheetrock.

On a somewhat more personal note, in my situation, I decided to go all out on the room, staggered studs/semi-room-within-a-room construction with double sheetrock and GG, stage/riser, linacoustic/batting on walls...and now, my original budget is spent. I still need to carpet, and fabric for the walls, but as I see it, you only have one chance to build your room. Build it right the first time, and you won't have to fix it later.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I thought it was a code - at least common practice - that the first layer of sheetrock be glued & screwed to the ceiling joist or HC, 12" OC. If this is so, would Integrity Gasket be advisable for use on joist?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Not sure about code, I would imagine its common practice.

Clarence is one member who used it. I am going GG and RSIC for the ceiling, so I think I will skip the "IG". But if some one is looking for a cheap-ish add on, that might help with isolation, it is an option.

Here are some pics from Clarence's install:

http://crtforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=...42d38c6de1#113

I have seen some research where they claim their benefits, but it seems like it is ideal for addressing creaking floors, helpful in other applications IIRC. Clarence included this link in his thread:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...80#post4975080

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.