AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like some advice on a ceiling speaker install.

The condo is reasonably new, 2006, the living area has vaulted ceilings, pre-wired for ceiling speakers.

There are junction boxes in the ceiling, with wire terminating in them, and there is a larger junction box on the wall where all the wires terminate.

Should I mount the speakers next to the ceiling junction boxes, and drill a hole in the side of the junction box to run the wire to the speaker?

Or should I remove the junction boxes and mount the speakers where the junction boxes were?

My concern is how to remove the junction boxes?

I looked inside them and there is no "mountings", so I assume they are attached to a stud on the outside, and this is covered by drywall.

If they are attached to a stud, how do I remove them without making large holes in the ceiling?

And, is there enough room for the speaker grill to cover the area left open by the junction box that is right next to the stud?

Suggestions appreciated.

P.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,116 Posts
I would cut out the junction boxes and enlarge the hole and install your speakers.

For this task a reciprocal saw is your best friend. The box is probably attached to a ceiling joist with two nails on one side of the junction box. You should study un-installed boxes at Home Depot to see how they attach. Then taking the saw with a metal cutting blade you can slice the nails in under 60 seconds and remove the box.

Depending on the shape of the speaker and how close to a ceiling joist it can be installed you may need to do some minor drywall repair since the junction boxes will be tight to the joists.

here is a picture of one type of junction box, yours may differ. You can see the nails to cut.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll have a look at similar boxes at my local hardware store.

I will just have to make sure the speaker edge will cover the hole given that the box is mounted against a stud. I can check that with the cutout I get with the speaker.

P.

·
Registered
99 Posts
+2 on reciprocating saw, just be sure not to get carried away and nick/cut your wiring. Another option, I have had lots of luck being able to "pry" the box off the stud. Find out which side the stud is on and get a larger screwdriver between the box and stud and pry the box from the stud. You do have to be cautious not to damage the drywall, pry it so the pressure is on the box not the drywall.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by haas_chrs
+2 on reciprocating saw, just be sure not to get carried away and nick/cut your wiring. Another option, I have had lots of luck being able to "pry" the box off the stud. Find out which side the stud is on and get a larger screwdriver between the box and stud and pry the box from the stud. You do have to be cautious not to damage the drywall, pry it so the pressure is on the box not the drywall.
I'm a little cautious about just cutting away without seeing what I am cutting, and then there is the problem of the junction being about 15ft high and my ladder 11ft...

I was thinking I could use a dremel cutter and cut away the top section of the box, exposing the section under the drywall.

I would then have a clearer view of how it is attached, and I can cut it of or pry it loose.

P.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.