AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement already has a sprinkler system installed. Here is a closeup picture. http://home.attbi.com/~khearst/sprinklerhead.jpg

You can see that the distance from sprinkler head to ceiling joist is 3.5".

My plan is to rip 2x4's in half to frame the ceiling. I plan on using double drywall, probably 1 layer of 5/8 and one layer of 1/2 sheetrock. So, if I do my math correctly, I have used up about 3 inches of the 3.5 inch sprinkler.

My question is, what are the "rules" regarding drywall on the ceiling and the sprinkler heads? Is 1/2 inch enough clearance for the sprinkler heads? Are sprinkler heads all the same or are those in the picture just for unfinished areas? Do I need to get something different since this is now a finished area?

Also, where do you get those decorative inserts (like the trim on a light can) that go around the sprinkler heads and cover up the drywall cuts for the heads? Home depot does not have them as far as I can tell.

Can you spray paint sprinkler heads...black for instance? Is there a reason I would not want to do that?

Finally, I am concerned about these holes in my celing with regards to sound traveling to the family room upstairs. What is the best way close these holes from a soundproofing point of view? Is there a special caulk to use, or can I just use drywall caulk?

Thanks for any replies!!!

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
270 Posts
Personally...

I would contact a local sprinkler company and have them price out changing these out to a pop-out sprinkler type.

This way you can use the 2x4 in it's fullest and the pop outs come in those designer look plates.

The sprinkler will be flat to the ceiling as you want it.

In regards to painting it...

:mad: NO :mad:

The bulb (red thing) is meant to pop under certain heat conditions. If you paint this it will change the result. If you accidentally break the bulb you will get water coming out. There is nothing "really" holding it in there.

It is easier to get a certified sprinkler installer in there so you dont end up with either water everywhere or a false alarm.

Just a note from a firefighter (ME)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Worm. Getting a quote would be a good idea. If it is too expensive, I wonder if I can frame and drywall as planned and just install the trim. (Painting was a stupid idea, but I only thought about painting the "fan" portion, not the bulb. I would probably break the bulb during the process. :) )

Just to clarify, I am using the 2x4's in it's fullest. I am ripping them in half, they will be slightly thicker than a traditional 2x2. I probably don't need that extra width, it is just easier to rip the 2x4's that way (1 rip cut instead of two).

As someone who has had a house fire and required the services of firemen, I really appreciate the work you do.

Regards,

Hal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.