AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has put stars on their HT ceiling. I just painted mine flat black. I had thought of fiber optics, but don't think I want to get into that right now. I thought about glow in the dark paint but where do I get it. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...Steve.:)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I had entertained this idea several months ago, and did a search on the net for luminescent paint. I sent $20.00 to a company in AZ. called StarScapes. They sent me a tiny sample of paint and a 3' x 4' white of paper with tiny black circles on it.

The included instructions said to paint the circles with the sample paint. Then place the sheet on the ceiling and turn out the lights.

I did this in a very controlled room, a bathroom. Although, in complete darkeness the effect was awesome...with ambient light such as a projector, television, the effect is lost.

I tried some experimentations myself with other luminescent paints from hobby stores. This had the same effect and the "glow" time is very short....5 minutes peak lumination.

I went as far as to contact several professional mineral companies asking for samples of luminescent paint. I had one reply. Two weeks later I recieved a small package containing two 4 oz. jars of powder, one yellowish and the other greenish. This was packed carefully with Material Safety Data Sheets enclosed....all kinds of warnings on this stuff. This was the raw material for making "glow in the dark" paint. Instructions included described how to mix the contents with paints to create luminescent glowing in various brightness and duration.

I never used the pigments for the intended purpose, but I have held it up to light and then turned the lights outs...the stuff sure glows!

Here is another idea that will work. At Hobby Lobby you can by tiny "star" shapes made of plastic with a reflective backing. They look more like cut-mirror or gems. These I found come in a couple of sizes. I bought a package of 10 for about $2.00. They can be glued in place on a dark, black ceiling....they will reflect any ambient light source..and be an eye catcher. Of, course the opposite applies here....if the room is pitch black...no pretty reflecting stars. But, how often are you in a pitch black room?

·
Registered
199 Posts
i have a simple star feild . all i did was get a pack of clear fake gems (like the ones you see in childrens play rings) with a flat back .

i just used blue tack on the back then they can be taken down if the ceiling needs painting and put back .

pretty simple but the effect is great when the pj or tv is on they flicker like real stars :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.