AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a textured ceiling make a difference? I have a combination bar/HT room that is 42 long x 19 wide with 9 foot ceilings. I want to do as dark as I can on the ceiling and screen wall (WAF). I am leaning towards a textured ceiling, what my drywall guy calls a knock down. Basically it's a big fat nap roller that leaves mud hanging down then they go right back over it and knock it down. If I use a flat paint on this texture is it going to make a difference while 1) watching a movie? 2) hanging out at the bar enjoying a cold beverage? This is my first shot at anything like this and need some opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

Here's a couple of photo's of the room looking towards the screen wall.

·
Registered
130 Posts
it makes less dry wall finish time easier because you do not have to sand it down and make smooth for the seams. Although it takes a little time to still do like this, and then when you go to paint. make sure you use a primer first then paint so it will not soak all your expensive paint up. Also use a thick nap when rolling paint 1/2"-1" so you can get between all the texture. It really is what ever you prefer more, I believe. As for as flat and black you still will be able to see the texcture if you look but sould not be distracting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMO I would say no to texture. You're taking the time to update the room...why the need for a textured ceiling? The cons are that dust can easily form in the textured spots. Another would be that if and when you sell the house it may not be something the buyer likes. I recently bought my first home and I can recall looking up at textured or popcorn ceilings and thinking to myself what a mess it was going to make when I would have to scrape them off. Textured ceilings are great for cabins and ski lodges.

Just my opinion....I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Anyway, the room looks great! You have a nice sized room to work with. I'm in the middle of doing something similar to my basement. Bar on one side, and movie screen on the other. I'm going to post some pics as I move closer to finishing. I just finished up the bar. Unfortunately, I don't have quite the space you do. Have you done the work yourself?

Poch

·
Registered
12 Posts
A simple knock down texture is not dated. Do it. It will look good. Textured ceilings are definitely not popcorn texture which is dated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochman /forum/post/12933023

IMO I would say no to texture. You're taking the time to update the room...why the need for a textured ceiling? The cons are that dust can easily form in the textured spots. Another would be that if and when you sell the house it may not be something the buyer likes. I recently bought my first home and I can recall looking up at textured or popcorn ceilings and thinking to myself what a mess it was going to make when I would have to scrape them off. Textured ceilings are great for cabins and ski lodges.

Just my opinion....I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Anyway, the room looks great! You have a nice sized room to work with. I'm in the middle of doing something similar to my basement. Bar on one side, and movie screen on the other. I'm going to post some pics as I move closer to finishing. I just finished up the bar. Unfortunately, I don't have quite the space you do. Have you done the work yourself?

Poch

Hey Poch, thanks for the opinion. So far I've done all the work myself. The entire basement is around 2300 square feet, this is just the room I'm interested in. Drywall hanging and finishing is the only part I'm not doing and that should start late next week. I plan on starting a build thread once that is done with progress photo's. Seems like build threads hit a wall about the time drywall begins so I decided to wait.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think some are thinking popcorn ceilings when talking texture. It is not dated, this is being done in all the new highend homes around here. Some have a pattern like mine and I have never had anyone say it looks dated. Really it is a matter of opinion and what your plans are for the room decor. maybe do a section and see what you think.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just built a large house with a four car garage (just to give you some perspective) and we had knock down texture applied and it looks fantastic. I will probably do the same in the basement. Besides, it will hide the tape lines!

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
A knock down texture is very low maintenance. I have moved acoustic panels that had Velcro on the back thus peeling away the paint right of the wall. Looks fine after new paint. I would need to look very close I think to tell where they were.

Popcorn texture can be repaired using Acoustic Texture for patching. Need lots of sheets of plastic and safety goggles. I will do a practice area on something. I am worried that as soon as I hold the spray button down the first time its going to be flying around the living room making a huge mess!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would go with splatter drag or knock down same thing ! I presently have popcorn vintage 1985 and it is a pain. I painted it but any time anything touches it you have to touch up the paint. No one wants popcorn texture any more ! Good luck Johnathan

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Knock down will not affect anything in your HT. Highly recommended.

The critics are thinkin' "popcorn ceiling".

It would look much better than flat and would not show imperfections as much.

scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another vote for the knockdown. Looks good (not cheap), less expensive/effort than smooth, and not at all dated.

My wife comments at least weekly how glad she is that I talked her into a knockdown ceiling for our basement project.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree. knockdown is the way to go. If you are doing your own mudding it can hid a multitude of drywall sins LOL I had considered smooth but will probably go knockdown just as an aid to cover potential minor blemishes

John

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad to hear the knock down won't hurt anything. My drywaller explained to me that the knockdown would hide any imperfections that he might leave behind. As good as he is you can't get it perfect and dark colors bring out anything less than perfect. The other alternative would be to smooth the entire ceiling which was going to be several extra dollars.

Thanks for all the opinions and I will post some photos hopefully in a week or so once it's done.

Scott

·
Registered
267 Posts
I went with a textured ceiling(not popcorn) because the rest of the house has them. I don't think it is dated, my house is only 4 years old.

In this picture the white ceiling and the black ceiling are both textured. I am very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I vote textured as well. I find it interesting some people are saying its dated? All the higher end homes (million +) in my area are all textured. I was originally going with textured in my basement install as well but they did a good job of hiding the seams in the drywall so it was left. Its doesn't look bad with out the texture but I sometime wish I would have used a "knock back" texture with a black on grey for the acoustics and the look.

Here is a quick photo of the HT basement ceiling where the PJ is mounted.

Cheers

·
Banned
235 Posts
As stated, those saying "textured ceilings are dated "are thinking popcorn ceiling or crows textured. Yes, that ugly sprayed on textured crapola is dated. As is the hand brushed/squished on texture. However "textured" walls and ceilings are NOT popcorn these days. (do they even still offer popcorn ceilings?? hope not). Although, textured is not the correct term used but often used.

Anyhoot, textured (knock down/splatter drag) ceilings/walls are my favorite. Its adds just a TOUCH of depth and effects accoustics in no way than would a smooth finish. The joints are all still sanded/scraped smooth so those that say its not and the texture hides all imperperfections are a little off base. While a smooth or even orange peel surface requires a bit more finish work to make sure the surface is more perfect, a textured wall/ceiling wont hide a crappy mud job.

Have you ever taken a knock down/splatter drag wall and glazed it? WOW, talk about depth! VERY nice!!!

the texturing is done with spray bin filled with water dilluted mud. Its lightly spatterrd on the wall. Before it almost drys, a wide blade/scraper/peice of plastic, etc. is dragged across the surface. Its a pretty flat surface just not mirror smooth. i love it.

Now you can see why its called knock down or splatter drag. "textured" is not the real term for it actually. At least in these parts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts