AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New theater room being built in my basement. Size is 16'L x 9 1/2'w x 8'h. It's an unfinished space in the corner of the basement. Kitchen directly above and other bedrooms are on the second floor of the house. I will use it for TV and movie viewing. Standard 5.1 setup with 12" SVS sub.

I would like to dampen the sound as much as possible. I don't have an unlimited budget. Any basic suggestions? Ceiling tile options? I am going for a drop ceiling based on the fact that I have that stupid vent going down the middle.. How about drywall or treatments?

I just want to avoid major rattling or vibrations and try to contain the bass as much as possible.

Thanks!

Couple pics

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

It would be well worth your time to read the library of articles at soundproofingcompany.com

Thanks, i'll check it out.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Hi Rob,

You can have a look at old threads in this forum regarding dropped ceilings, however in general if you have a drop ceiling, you're not going to have a great deal of sound isolation. The ceilings are very low mass, not sealed, not damped, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rob,

I was in the same exact boat when I first started working on the design for my theater. My architect and electrician both were trying to talk me into a drop ceiling.

As soon as I started doing research though, I quickly abandoned that idea (at least in the theater). I'm not happy about covering up the infrastructure of the house, but if I cant blast my movies at night, I won't be happy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/19620913

Hi Rob,

You can have a look at old threads in this forum regarding dropped ceilings, however in general if you have a drop ceiling, you're not going to have a great deal of sound isolation. The ceilings are very low mass, not sealed, not damped, etc.

Hi Ted,

I actually spoke to someone at your company today and will be getting some green glue from you next week. I live just west of Detroit, not far from you. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico /forum/post/19622001

Rob,

I was in the same exact boat when I first started working on the design for my theater. My architect and electrician both were trying to talk me into a drop ceiling.

As soon as I started doing research though, I quickly abandoned that idea (at least in the theater). I'm not happy about covering up the infrastructure of the house, but if I cant blast my movies at night, I won't be happy.

I hear you...I am torn. My only issue is I do have two main water lines going above my theater room. And, here is the thing, my current HT setup is in my living room, upstairs. The living room has a cathedral ceiling with the 2nd floor loft looking down. The only thing separating me from the bedrooms is a door.

By moving to the other side of my house, and into the basement, I will be buying MUCH more leeway to play my system louder. Plus, I plan on insulating the hell out of the ceiling as well as the walls and getting the best noise canceling tiles I can find. I am currently looking for any ideas on keeping the sound lower with a drop ceiling...if you have any ideas in that respect, help!!!

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, to comment on my pics in the OP, I am hindered by the stairs on the right for width. The room is going to be just under 10' after drywall. I was planning on doubling up the drywall and adding dampening to the right and back walls, leaving the two walls against the basement concrete walls with single panel.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I'd move the ductwork in the middle of the room. You could re-engineer the HVAC sheet metal so it runs along the right hand side wall (hide in a soffit) and then run it over, up in the joist cavity. You might need to buy a few pieces of HVAC tin, to make it work, but you could reuse most of the existing sheet metal. Pretty cheap to do and it'd improve the room substantially.

The drain line could be replumbed also.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/19623347

I'd move the ductwork in the middle of the room. You could re-engineer the HVAC sheet metal so it runs along the right hand side wall (hide in a soffit) and then run it over, up in the joist cavity. You might need to buy a few pieces of HVAC tin, to make it work, but you could reuse most of the existing sheet metal. Pretty cheap to do and it'd improve the room substantially.

The drain line could be replumbed also.

I am already considering rerouting the HVAC ductwork. Kind of dumb for the builder to do that. Also, the drain pipe drops too low. Just silly.

Now I am thinking Drywall ceiling...lol.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,153 Posts
Yes move the ductwork. Fix the drain, Use a soffit around the perimeter and drywall the ceiling. Hide the drainpipe on the side with the clean-out with a column, put a matching one on the other side. It you are ambitious you could break the concrete and tuck the drain closer to the wall, if not in it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
Yes move the ductwork. Fix the drain, Use a soffit around the perimeter and drywall the ceiling. Hide the drainpipe on the side with the clean-out with a column, put a matching one on the other side. It you are ambitious you could break the concrete and tuck the drain closer to the wall, if not in it.
Good ideas.

Big, your home theater is awesome, BTW...

·
Registered
9,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 /forum/post/19623563

I am already considering rerouting the HVAC ductwork. Kind of dumb for the builder to do that. Also, the drain pipe drops too low. Just silly.

Now I am thinking Drywall ceiling...lol.

Mission accomplished!

You have it pretty easy to do. I sistered several joists, tucked a short run of cold air return up into the joist cavity, swapped 5x14" sheet metal for the existing 8x8", and tucked the new sheet metal over beside the main support beam. The central vac was also moved. It was a fair amount of work and some expense, and I questioned all the effort I was putting into this. But when I finished, it was worth the effort and expense.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/19628361

Mission accomplished!

You have it pretty easy to do. I sistered several joists, tucked a short run of cold air return up into the joist cavity, swapped 5x14" sheet metal for the existing 8x8", and tucked the new sheet metal over beside the main support beam. The central vac was also moved. It was a fair amount of work and some expense, and I questioned all the effort I was putting into this. But when I finished, it was worth the effort and expense.

Do you have a link to some pictures during the build? I would be interested in seeing them.

I have a family friend who is a carpenter/home builder doing mine (I hate drywall and framing!). I am doing the electric with my brother in law who is an electrician. I just spoke to the family friend who is finishing up framing today and he is going to reroute the drain pipe and HVAC duct up top...I am going to do a soffit all the way around the perimeter of the room and double drywall with GG. Thanks for this suggestions!

My only concerns, now, are that the room is a tad narrow. I have a huge 12" SVS sub that may be overkill...and it takes up a lot of real estate. Anyone have any suggestions on where to place it in my dimensions?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On top of suggestions for sub placement, also looking for any input or ideas for how to handle seating in a space just under 10' wide...

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO...it has been a while since we started but boy have we come a long way. I thought I would post some pictures for progress. A couple of notes since I last posted:
  • We rerouted the plumbing and ductwork to go along the length of the room walls, thus creating soffit as seen below.
  • I went with drywall ceiling and doubled up 5/8" drywall and used "Green Glue" from the local Michigan Soundproofing Co.!
  • Heavy duty insulation in the ceiling and outer walls for extra soundproofing.
  • 36" doorway to get everything inside
  • All speaker wire, power, HDMI, CAT6 Ethernet run in the walls
  • Seperate 20 amp circuit fed to this room for extra "juice"

As for the colors...don't shoot me. I thought the wall brown was going to be a completely different tone based on the sample I had. Haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not. I want to see it with all the furniture, TV and sconces/track lighting.

Any feedback??!!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 /forum/post/20366325

Any feedback??!!

Yes, congratulations on making it this far. Now you can focus on turning that room into a theater. Tell us your plans for equipment, seating and acoustical treatments. If you don't have any plans tell us your budget and you will get lots of suggestions I'm sure. I know you said "TV" but a room this good needs a projector.

And a special ataboy for moving the duct! As for the $hit brown walls depending on how you finish off the room it might turn out just fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20368031

Yes, congratulations on making it this far. Now you can focus on turning that room into a theater. Tell us your plans for equipment, seating and acoustical treatments. If you don't have any plans tell us your budget and you will get lots of suggestions I'm sure. I know you said "TV" but a room this good needs a projector.

And a special ataboy for moving the duct! As for the $hit brown walls depending on how you finish off the room it might turn out just fine.

Well..my current HT equipment will have to suffice for now. Major TV/screen upgrades are for next year's bonus check!

Anyway, here is my gear...very middle of the road but I am fine with it for my space size:
  • Samsung 58" Plasma PN58B860 (to be wall mounted), ISF calibrated
  • SVSound 5.1 SBS-01 system ( www.svsound.com )
  • PB12 sub from SVS
  • Onkyo TX-SR607 AV reciever
  • DirecTV HD-DVR
  • PS3 for Blu Ray/DVD and temporary HTPC
  • CAT6 Ethernet wired house with 20 mb/s Internet speed
  • First row seating is two seperate Palliser Magnolia theater chairs, powered, brown leather
  • Second row seating is Lay-Z-Boy leather reclining love seat, chocolate brown

In wall low voltage wire is 14 gaugue Monoprice speaker wire, 1.4 HDMI and standard RG6 for DirecTV.

Lighting will be four sconces, two on either side wall. Two sets of four light track lighting. One for the front wall and one for the back. Three dimmer switches, one for sconces, one for each track lighting fixture.

This is my first stab at a room on my budget...learned a hell of a lot. Learned what I want to do, what I shouldn't do, and what I don't need. Next one will be pro all the way! I should have a much bigger budget, too!

My wife is happy to get all that gear out of her living room, upstairs, but is also afraid that she won't see me again!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok...other than a bathroom, I am done. Theater room is done, as is the general room, a new office and a storage room. I have a few finishing touches with some electric stuff, but for the most part...done.

Here's a few pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts