AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For pure looks, I would prefer a ceiling that is trayed or barreled. We will be spending about $10k for the media room equipment (projector, speakers, screen, any acoustic materials, etc.) we will be building in our new home.

How important is it to have a purely flat ceiling?

One more question -- Our current design is for a 15x23 room. We have not decided yet on the ceiling height. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I sometimes wonder if a barrel vaulted ceiling would produce a room with less prominent standing waves and smoother bass response. I don't recall ever seeing it discussed. I suppose the vault would have to be fairly pronounced to have any noticeable effect. Maybe Dennis Erskine or Bryan Pape will offer an informed opinion.

Quote:
We have not decided yet on the ceiling height. Any suggestions?
A 9- or 10-foot ceiling would offer more options in terms of screen size, height of stage and riser, soffets, etc.. Seems like in theaters, as with so many things in life, bigger is better.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Barrel, no. It will focus sound to the listeners.

High as possible is better for room modes. 10' is better than 8' for example. If you have to get there by using a tray, that's ok. It's the area over the seats that matters.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yeah, no barrel... I went with a multiple-tray layout with rope uplights, and a 10' ceiling (from the lowest level, 8' high in the rear row).

My room is very close to your dimensions (16x22). My width is *just* wide enough for 4-across recliners. Doing it over I would have liked another 6-12" of width, and 1-2' of length. But that's based on 3 rows and 4-across...

Jeff

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Glenn at gik acoustics has a layout that shows broadband bass traps along the ceiling perimeter.

Since you are in design stage, should consider that as part of your acoustics pkg, unless you have some other plan for bass trapping.

You still could easily incorperate some lighting inside that via crown mldg.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/room_setup.php

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.