AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my first htpc and Im considering using a celeron 1ghz cpu to power the whole thing.

The celeron is preferred because they are cheap and compatible with the bh6 motherboard that I already have.

I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on whether they know how well this cpu will handle dvd playback and esp. the more system taxing video capture?

Planning to use a radeon, some pinnacle cap card and 256 meg ram running Win XP for the rest of it.

cheers,

Dylan

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
A 1 Ghz celeron should be fine. IMO I would use Win2k or ME for an OS. Getting XP to work right for a DVD player and dScaler might be a problem for a while until drivers and applications have matured for XP.

Mike

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For video capture and processing, since you already have an appropriate motherboard, this would be fine as a temporary solution.

However, I might add that you probably will not be able to use the most advanced DScaler filters to their fullest with this CPU, so if you're building fresh, you should move into the faster CPUs. I know 1 GHz is a lot of grunt, but the requirements of DScaler spiked in the last release. The additional requirements are worth it, but it's something you should keep in mind.

For DScaler, it's not important what OS you run. Just Win98SE or later.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with the others and would stick with Win98SE for the OS. XP is too new and you'll probably have driver problems. Also, from some benchmarks I've seen, XP is noticeably slower than 98 or 2K, probably due to all the graphical enhancements.

Also, 1Ghz is plenty fast on the CPU side, but as mentioned, you may have trouble with the most advanced dScaler features. This is not a limit of the CPU, but rather the subsystem, especially if the system bus is running at 66Mhz. dScaler moves a LOT of data around, so a 66Mhz bus with SDRAM may prove to be a bottleneck. The newest systems have a 133Mhz system bus using DDR memory which effectively makes it a 266Mhz system bus. If you run into problems with dScaler, this is why. Hope that helps.

- Brian

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
There has been some positive feedback with this upgrade, it may be almost the same price as a processor +slocket.
I've got the Celeron 1.2 w/ 100FSB on order from PowerLeap. I have an Asus P2B-LS. I have high hopes it will work. My last CPU upgrade experience didn't go too well.

Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chris:

Let us know how your upgrade went. I am considering it too, now I have a Cel 400 Slot 1.

Would be a good upgrade although I promiced myself that I'll wait untill 4G chip is on the market.

Alex

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just got the new Celeron 1.2 upgrade for Slot 1 motherboards from PowerLeap - http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm

It doesn't work on my Asus P2B-LS motherboard. I got e-mail back from their support basically telling me the same thing and the P2B is now on the unsupported list. Based on this result, I cannot recommend this product. I'm still looking for a way to upgrade my PIII-450. I've struck out several times now and it's getting really frustrating trying to upgrade the CPU on my motherboard, especially since people seem to be having success with other 440BX motherboards.

Chris

·
Registered
782 Posts
Chris,

I upgraded my old 440BX slot one MB by buying a Slot 1 to socket adapter and popped for one of the very inexpensive 533Celerons. It is stable overclocked at 850mhz, ie changing the bus speed from 66 to 100.

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the same pb.

My old Asus P2B cannot accept new processor core , so impossible to upgrade via Slotket

Thus I just bought a ECS motherboard on SIS 735 chip and a Duron 1100.

It cost me 20 000 yen (180 USD) and it flies...

As it provides both SD ram and ddram slot for memory, I could keep my old sdram memeory

Very cheap upgrade these days...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Regarding XP, it worked out of the box for me with PowerDVD 3, DScaler, Cybertainment, SB Live (DD 5.1) and Radeon (VE and LE). Also WinAMP 2.77.

The auto update even picked up the latest ATI drivers for the Radeon. I'm running with no drivers for the Cybertainment capture card since I use it only with DScaler.

Just for grins, I even did a full install of XP Home using my projector & an RF wireless KB/mouse - faultless. So, now I'm running a box that has never seen a normal monitor or KB.

·
Registered
46 Posts
DYLAN: are you sure the BH6 can handle the 1gig Celeron. Be sure you have flashed to the latest BIOS but I wasnt aware that the last one went as high as 1 gig.......... but I might be wrong. Just be sure before you spend the $$$

Id go to www.pricewatch.com and pick up a Duron 900 wih ECS board combo for under $100 personally. (a 900 Duron will smoke a 1gig celery chip) or step up to the 1 gig Duron for only $122.

Good luck, either way youre gonna do fine with this setup

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why would you buy a Duron combo instead of the full Athlon? On pricewatch, they show a 1Gig Duron combo for $122 and a 1Gig Athlon combo for $129. The Athlon has 256K L2 cache and the Duron only has 64K L2 cache. I wouldn't even consider a Duron with that little price difference.

- Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.