AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On American Idol last week the producers bleeeeeeeped out Kara when Kara asked the singer what she was thinking after her critique and Kara said to herself "She is probably thinking what a *****". They bleeped out *****. On The Today Show this week Chelsea Handler was a guest and they showed a clip of her show when interviewing Bettie White and Chelsea said to Bettie that "Cloris Leachman had called Bettie a SLUT". They bleeeeeeped out SLUT. So, have the networks gotten more conservative? Or do they just love to insert bleeeeeeps as often as they can even when not needed?

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18283249

On American Idol last week the producers bleeeeeeeped out Kara when Kara asked the singer what she was thinking after her critique and Kara said to herself "She is probably thinking what a *****". They bleeped out *****. On The Today Show this week Chelsea Handler was a guest and they showed a clip of her show when interviewing Bettie White and Chelsea said to Bettie that "Cloris Leachman had called Bettie a SLUT". They bleeeeeeped out SLUT. So, have the networks gotten more conservative? Or do they just love to insert bleeeeeeps as often as they can even when not needed?

I vote for the latter. No way have they gotten more conservative, especially Fox.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Calling this "censorship" is misleading, because most people think negative thoughts when they hear word of "censorship", and nothing negative is going on here. My wife comes out of the bedroom wearing a new outfit that I think is ugly... yes, I "censor" what I say. That's fitting and proper -- essential actually. A broadcaster deciding for themselves what they're going to broadcast is also fitting and proper. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, whatsoever, and indeed if they simply allowed the people on their television shows to say whatever they wanted, without any discretion applied by the broadcaster whatsoever, that would be irresponsible on the part of the broadcaster. Even if the broadcaster allowed everything to be broadcast, it is their obligation to at least think about and decide whether what the people on their television shows are saying is what they want to broadcast.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The issue is simple, Broadcasters think about what they let and don't let through simply because this country has moved more towards conservatism in what is not allowed on the public airwaves. And they face stiffer fines and large legal defense costs when something "offensive" gets through. CBS faces millions of dollars worth of fines for an incredibly brief shot of a nipple. FOX faced (I don't know what the outcome of the case was) fines for allowing a competitor's expletive slip through at the end of a NASCAR race several years ago. It's okay to show all sorts of gun violence and other deadly scenes. But it could cost a fortune to let a "bad" word or some body part get through. In a live situation, the broadcasters ask an executive to make on-the-fly decisions within seconds (think 5 second delay) about moral issues where there is no black and white right or wrong. Given the amounts of money a slip-up could cost, no wonder they err on the side of conservatism

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/18283732

Calling this "censorship" is misleading, because most people think negative thoughts when they hear word of "censorship", and nothing negative is going on here. My wife comes out of the bedroom wearing a new outfit that I think is ugly... yes, I "censor" what I say. That's fitting and proper -- essential actually. A broadcaster deciding for themselves what they're going to broadcast is also fitting and proper. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, whatsoever, and indeed if they simply allowed the people on their television shows to say whatever they wanted, without any discretion applied by the broadcaster whatsoever, that would be irresponsible on the part of the broadcaster. Even if the broadcaster allowed everything to be broadcast, it is their obligation to at least think about and decide whether what the people on their television shows are saying is what they want to broadcast.

Very well said. It seems like many people don't understand the meaning of the word censorship.

Considering what is allowed on TV these days, I'm glad they are trying to somewhat limit some of the foul words on TV. Small children pick up on this and start repeating it. I turn the TV to another channel if something inappropriate is being said or shown when my children are present.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 /forum/post/18284081

Very well said. It seems like many people don't understand the meaning of the word censorship.

Considering what is allowed on TV these days, I'm glad they are trying to somewhat limit some of the foul words on TV. Small children pick up on this and start repeating it. I turn the TV to another channel if something inappropriate is being said or shown when my children are present.

Yep, every TV I've ever seen has a way to change the channel. Folks should use it more often, instead of having Govt do all their work.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts

Quote:

My money is on kids picking it up from parents, siblings, the playground, and school, more so than what they get on TV. TV reflects society, not the other way around.

TV is always a great scapegoat because blame can be placed there rather than on personal or societal responsibility.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
The word "*****" is kind of interesting in television. In the 70's it was forbidden to call someone a "*****" however it was OK to say someone was "bitchy" or to "*****" about something.

I'm sure the reason they bleeped ***** and slut out of A.I. and the Today Show is because they have wide audiences that aren't expecting to hear those words.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 /forum/post/18284081

The majority of the nasty language will be picked up from relatives, and kids at their school NOT the TV. It's easy to place blame on the TV, but they will hear much worse in their own backyard than they will ever encounter on television.

TV is pretty much PG-13... outside in the real world its rated R.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo /forum/post/18285899

The majority of the nasty language will be picked up from relatives, and kids at their school NOT the TV. It's easy to place blame on the TV, but they will hear much worse in their own backyard than they will ever encounter on television.

Few people blame the television for corrupting our youth these days, thanks to the Internet.

There are still some loud special interest groups like Morality in Media but I don't know how seriously the networks take them these days. I think the networks are more concerned about offending adult viewers who don't think those words are appropriate for certain shows.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/18283249

On The Today Show this week Chelsea Handler was a guest and they showed a clip of her show when interviewing Bettie White and Chelsea said to Bettie that "Cloris Leachman had called Bettie a SLUT". They bleeeeeeped out SLUT. So, have the networks gotten more conservative? Or do they just love to insert bleeeeeeps as often as they can even when not needed?

My question, is why show a clip that contains language that you know is there, and then BLEEP it?

It seems the whole point of the clip was about the humor of someone calling "wholesome" Betty White a slut.

Maybe Jenna Jameson can come on so they can show optically censored clips of one of her films.

Art

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/18286368

My question, is why show a clip that contains language that you know is there, and then BLEEP it?

It seems the whole point of the clip was about the humor of someone calling "wholesome" Betty White a slut.

Maybe Jenna Jameson can come on so they can show optically censored clips of one of her films.

Art

Good point. lol But the quickest way to make sure you get plenty of coverage and replay coverage on CNN, Inside Edition, local news, et al. is to fire off a few swear words...seems to work every time. Even on radio....Jim Rome loves to replay these outbursts...over and over and over. Also an easy laugh for comics. At least the trend hasn't migrated to primetime network television to any great extent....yet; i.e. I don't hear Charlie on "Two and a Half Men" being bleeped out. The producers could easily do it for effect but have chosen not to at this point. Can not say the same thing for late-night televison, with the Kimmel example, and with Leno as a few years ago going from editing out swear words to announcing them with a piercing beeeeep to inserting them as a swear word onto themselves.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words (WARNING THERE ARE "BAD" WORDS IN THAT LINK), the FCC does not even keep an actual list of banned words. "*****" was not even on Carlin's original 7-dirty word list. In fact, the FCC looks at the context of the language. For instance when Bono uttered a variation of the F-word, on live network TV, no fines were handed out.

Its clear the networks are self-censoring themselves. Like cable TV channels that edit out nudity from movies to keep their sponsors happy, and just like CBS does on Craig Ferguson's show, its post 10PM and therefore exempt. Of course replacing his foul language with "ooh-la-la" or "ay-caramba" just makes it funnier.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/18286368

The "bleep" is the network acknowledging to the viewer that the word was not intended to be broadcast.

It's also funnier than the real word sometimes. The short-lived Fox show "Action" probably set the record for most intentional bleeps per minute.

·
Super Moderator
18,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 /forum/post/18284892

They're still writing in '*****' and other words on the primetime dramas on they're not getting bleeped so I would say no.

Primetime dramas run later and have a different flag. Idol's on at 7 in the midwest and it's far easier to just bleep it than deal with a cavalcade of calls from affiliates who are upset because their top advertiser's 4-year-old heard it and started repeating it while the preacher was over for supper. Don't think for a second that doesn't happen. Been there, fielded the calls.

If you think there are any other forces at play over that word on that show at that time, then you're totally mistaken.

I can say "*****" all I want on my show. FCC doesn't care. Clients, however, are another matter. (As are mothers.) And my boss would rather not field those complaint calls nor the resulting potential loss of revenue.

Doc

1 - 20 of 261 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.