AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... I recently posted a thread questioning which "room" I should be in regarding the price of my PJ. That did raise some controversy here, however the post was responded to in a fovorable manner by most, at least at the time before I left the computer for a few minutes. Alan even responded with positive and informative comments. For this to be removed is truly in fact a censorship and I feel unnecessary. Here is the email I got regarding the removal of the post and my reply:

No Shawn... I don't understand.. My comment was a viable question... and was even replied to in a positive manner by Alan. I feel this is going a bit too far with the censorship!

Quote:
Shawn O wrote on Today 12:19 PM:

hi MelCarl,

Just wanted to notify you that I've removed your "Where do I fit in" thread.It was sarting to get a little out of control.Sorry.

Thanks for understanding,

Shawn

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swampfox... I was away and did miss the entire thread. I have to say that the words put here only reflect on the author and in no way intimidate me. The censorship does anger me though.

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can understand you being irked over having your post pulled, but I think I understand why it was pulled (I never saw it).

avsforum.com is the best AV forum I have found out on the net, and probably the single best source of information on HT that I have encountered. The moderators generally seem to let threads run their own course and are not overly assertive in supressing discussions.

One exception to that is when the topic turns to where to purchase equipment. Obviously, avscience is in the business of selling HT equipment, and the avsforum makes money from selling banner ads. It takes money to run avsforum, and I find it difficult to fault David and Alan for trying to protect the income that keeps avsforum.com up and running.

Bottom line is that this is a privately owned and operated forum and they can do whatever they want to do. As users of the forum we can choose to participate within the guidelines they have laid down, or we can go elsewhere. Personally, I think there is enough value in the forum that I am willing to abide by their guidelines and give them the benefit of the doubt in cases involving "censorship".

It seems that in your case you felt that your post was within the rules of the forum, but a moderator felt otherwise (or a posting in the thread went over the line). That boils down to a judgement call and the moderator is going to win those. I would just let it go.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The moderator was in no way censoring you (I was reading the post when it was moved to the deleted threads section) but was removing the thread due to (as he informed you) the thread running badly with swearing and back and forth... In a way he was removing it to remove an insult to you...

At this difficult stage of transition please have a thought for how hard it is to moderate without infurating...

Damned if you do... Damned if you dont....

·
Banned
770 Posts
interesting...did something happen in that thread after I went to lunch? I remember saying sorry for getting on MelCarl a bit for the post after he explained it wasn't inflamatory...I remember someone using a bit of foul language at me for getting on him...and me calling him a bit on it...but don't remember anyone else disagreeing with MelCarl at all. In fact all I saw was support which was why I said sorry for my comments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think the moderators were just trying to clean up the forum after the big shakeup and after the venting period wanted to get the discussions focused on, well, digital projectors. Don't take it too personally. They deleted and locked other threads. I think everything that could have been said was said, and the dust has settled.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Hello Mel...

The thread was removed and at the same time you were informed as to why. As mentioned to you also, it had nothing to due with your post, but the posts a several others in that that. It was concluded that instead of "cleaning" the thread...it was better to remove it for it would just start up again within the thread.

Please understand...We have the right to take what we feel is the correct action on a thread to keep the site as we see fit. Shawn did the right thing in this case.

I persoanlly would not call it censorship, but more protective. The thread did very bad, very quick, I am sorry to say.

Thank you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I read several unmoderated Usenet groups and I wish in a way there could be some censorship there. I have a number of individuals in my killfile list. Although I realize that I could do that here, too, I've found no need to because of the moderation. Keep up the good work, moderators! Just be sure that someone who is "moderated" has a way to understand why.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just want to say that I was disappointed to come back to my computer after reading only a few posts only to find the entire thread deleted. I understand that this is a private forum, however at the time I felt 'I'was censored because of the comments of others which I never had the opportunity to see. I have always found this forum to be helpful and informative and most on here are considerate... even those who are strongly opioniated... after all, that is what makes this forum interesting. I do hope that in the future, there will be some thought to confronting offenders rather than "protecting" those of us who are not being offensive by removing our threads. Thanks to all, and let us Project forward!!

:)

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Mel...Thanks for your reply...

You wrote...

"I do hope that in the future, there will be some thought to confronting offenders rather than "protecting" those of us who are not being offensive by removing our threads."

But I had written...

"It was concluded that instead of "cleaning" the thread...it was better to remove it for it would just start up again within the thread."

We try to clean as we can. But some threads will just go under again. We kind of learn this over time with patterns. :)

In any case, we do understand the concern and try to do what we can. You had never been an issue and were not in the thread. Sorry it happened, please do not take it personal, for you were not the cause. :)

Yes....Moving on. Thread closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.