AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find a decent 3-way book self speaker. I came across the speaker name Infinity Primus PC351. It really has some good reviews all over the net. So I am planning to buy them as my desktop's left and right speaker. I am also considering to purchase MartinLogan Dynamo 300 subwoofer and a sony 5.1 STRDH550. I heard 8" Subwoofers are best for listening music and as my room is 10 square feet in size, I think Polk PWS 108 would be a waste.

My question is is it a good idea to buy Infinity Primus PC351 as LR speakers?

All togeather the system will cost :
Infinity Primus PC351 2X200+100Shipping = $500
MartinLogan Dynamo 300 1X125 = $125
sony 5.1 STRDH550 1X$350 = $350

If I am doing wrong ,Please suggest something better but I will stick with 8" Subwoofer.10 or 12" are too loud for me. I am also considering Pioneer SP-FS52-LR.But they are floor standing which breaks my purpose.I always liked small form factor book self speaker cause I moved a lot.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I was trying to find a decent 3-way book self speaker. I came across the speaker name Infinity Primus PC351. It really has some good reviews all over the net. So I am planning to buy them as my desktop's left and right speaker. I am also considering to purchase MartinLogan Dynamo 300 subwoofer and a sony 5.1 STRDH550. I heard 8" Subwoofers are best for listening music and as my room is 10 square feet in size, I think Polk PWS 108 would be a waste.

My question is is it a good idea to buy Infinity Primus PC351 as LR speakers?

All togeather the system will cost :
Infinity Primus PC351 2X200+100Shipping = $500
MartinLogan Dynamo 300 1X125 = $125
sony 5.1 STRDH550 1X$350 = $350

If I am doing wrong ,Please suggest something better but I will stick with 8" Subwoofer.10 or 12" are too loud for me. I am also considering Pioneer SP-FS52-LR.But they are floor standing which breaks my purpose.I always liked small form factor book self speaker cause I moved a lot.

Thanks

The size of a subwoofer has nothing to do with how loud it is. All of them have volume controls. The size of the subwoofer is a factor in how low in frequency it will reproduce sound. 8" is very small. 12" would be much better. I'm thinking that you meant 100 square feet. 10 square feet would make a pretty small bathroom.

I suppose the center channel speakers will work OK but they are designed to be used horizontally. You might get better results from the 153 or 163 bookshelf speakers and you will save some money in the process that you could apply to a larger subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
A small room might be OK for a smaller subwoofer, but the diameter of the cone is only one factor.

The diameter of the cone is one factor, the amount of power of the subwoofer amplifier is another major one, and the size of the speaker magnet and the amount of cone travel also.

Some 8-inch subs can put out a lot of sound, and some 12-inch ones are not very powerful.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The size of a subwoofer has nothing to do with how loud it is. All of them have volume controls. The size of the subwoofer is a factor in how low in frequency it will reproduce sound. 8" is very small. 12" would be much better. I'm thinking that you meant 100 square feet. 10 square feet would make a pretty small bathroom.

I suppose the center channel speakers will work OK but they are designed to be used horizontally. You might get better results from the 153 or 163 bookshelf speakers and you will save some money in the process that you could apply to a larger subwoofer.
That's not entirely true, you're right they can be controlled by volume controls, and that the larger the sub the lower frequency it can reproduce, but in general the larger a subwoofer is the louder it can play at max volumes. Huge horn subs can play insanely loud with fairly low power and a cheapish driver.

I agree with the suggestion to get a larger subwoofer.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I have the martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer and all I can say is "Dynamo, it is NOT"! Boomy and without much output, it has since been retired to a basement closet!

Why not get 3 Infinity Primus P363, often on sale for around 100/per speaker from Fry's and use them across you front stage!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks man. you might be right.My room is 100 sq feet you are absolutely right. Do you recommend polk PWS 10" subwoofer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer and all I can say is "Dynamo, it is NOT"! Boomy and without much output, it has since been retired to a basement closet!

Why not get 3 Infinity Primus P363, often on sale for around 100/per speaker from Fry's and use them across you front stage!?
I am in Canada and everything is almost twice the price than states.Amazon(dot)ca has very few product with much higher price. If I order from states sites , the shipping is around $150 for a big speakers like this + duty Tax..too much

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
As was said, just looking at just the size of a sub is meaningless. I use a 10 " RS series in my office as a music only sub. It is never asked to produce dinosaur footfalls or explosions, just take some of the 30 to 60 effort off my mains. It is in a sealed cabinet and is specifically built to do that. I would err on the large size rather than go small long displacement as you are likely to have lower distortion. I am also a fan of sealed low Q subs, where many want "more bass" and prefer ported.

In a small room a 5 or 6 inch 2-way plenty. You should not need a larger MTM. With my Peerless subs in my very large living room, a pair of 6 1/2 mains still does fine at 60 Hz 4th order well within their linear range with full orchestra levels. But then again, I still have my hearing and of course, the drivers matter. ( Seas for mine) The higher the crossover, the easier it is on the mains. At 80 Hz, 4's can do very well.

IF, and I use that word with emphasis, the center was correctly designed as a center to be used on the side, and deals correctly with the dispersion, then it would not be a wise choice on end as a main, just as a correctly designed MTM main is a disaster as a center.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Noooooo, stay away from Polk!
Polk makes some great speakers and some very budget friendly value speakers. However I would also caution against their subwoofers unless found at an extreme discount as other brands offer much better subs for the same price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am totally confused now. Can any one give a suggestion about a pair of 3 way book self speaker and a 10" sub woofer which may sound really awesome.Budget is upto $600

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I am in Canada and everything is almost twice the price than states.Amazon(dot)ca has very few product with much higher price. If I order from states sites , the shipping is around $150 for a big speakers like this + duty Tax..too much
Sorry, didn't see that in the original post. From what I understand, SVS has a CA distributor, but that subwoofer (PB or SB1000) is 500 dollars. Good subwoofer, however...

·
Registered
29,086 Posts
I am totally confused now. Can any one give a suggestion about a pair of 3 way book self speaker and a 10" sub woofer which may sound really awesome.Budget is upto $600
Why are you insisting on a 3 way bookshelf speaker? 3 way speakers are not inherently better than 2 way speakers. There are good 3 way speakers as well as bad ones. There are 2 way speakers that are better than 3 way speakers.

Infinity PC 351 speakers are 25" wide. Are you planning to lay 2 of those across your desktop? It certainly isn't a small form factor bookshelf speaker which you claim that you like.

·
Registered
29,086 Posts
How bout a pair these and a good subwoofer?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=d7b6c2de8b763448e151863ba05488f5en02

Subwoofer prices are bad in Canada. I can't see paying $350 for a low quality Polk sub. This SVS is a sealed sub which would be good for music. The footprint is only 13" x 13" x 13" so doesn't take up much space.

http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-s...ontrolled-12-ultracompact-subwoofer-p-52.html

It takes up about as much space as this 8" sub but is more powerful.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why are you insisting on a 3 way bookshelf speaker? 3 way speakers are not inherently better than 2 way speakers. There are good 3 way speakers as well as bad ones. There are 2 way speakers that are better than 3 way speakers.

Infinity PC 351 speakers are 25" wide. Are you planning to lay 2 of those across your desktop? It certainly isn't a small form factor bookshelf speaker which you claim that you like.
Some one told me that I must have mid range driver to have a decent experience. My first built had a mid range on it and I am kind of keeping up the old tradition :D. I am not a pro about Speakers so I thought mid range gives crisp out put but I could be wrong. Thanks for your time. I liked the polk speaker that you suggested but I heard Polk are not good.. I never had them so no idea.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Some one told me that I must have mid range driver to have a decent experience. My first built had a mid range on it and I am kind of keeping up the old tradition :D. I am not a pro about Speakers so I thought mid range gives crisp out put but I could be wrong. Thanks for your time. I liked the polk speaker that you suggested but I heard Polk are not good.. I never had them so no idea.
all 2 way speakers have a mid range driver. all 3 way speakers have a mid range driver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How bout a pair these and a good subwoofer?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=d7b6c2de8b763448e151863ba05488f5en02

Subwoofer prices are bad in Canada. I can't see paying $350 for a low quality Polk sub. This SVS is a sealed sub which would be good for music. The footprint is only 13" x 13" x 13" so doesn't take up much space.

http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-s...ontrolled-12-ultracompact-subwoofer-p-52.html

It takes up about as much space as this 8" sub but is more powerful.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html
I really liked your suggestions. One more question: Have you ever heard about BIC America D62-3LCR? Will it better than the polk speaker you suggested?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was trying to find a decent 3-way book self speaker. I came across the speaker name Infinity Primus PC351. It really has some good reviews all over the net. So I am planning to buy them as my desktop's left and right speaker.
The Infinity Primus are a good line of budget speakers - high quality and well regarded for their price range.

But this particular model is a center channel speaker designed to be placed on its side. This speaker even uses the new center channel design with stacked tweeter-mid that improves horizontal dispersion (at the expense of vertical dispersion), but this only works when it is placed on its side.

If you placed this speaker on its end, the horizontal dispersion would become vertical dispersion (which may cause excessive reflection issues) and vertical dispersion would become horizontal dispersion - which will limit the listener positions which will sound correct and the speaker won't sound right - the tweeter should never be horizontal to the mid.

There are other two-way bookshelf speakers that would be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I am doing wrong, please suggest something better but I will stick with 8" Subwoofer - 10" or 12" are too loud for me. I am also considering Pioneer SP-FS52-LR. But they are floor standing which breaks my purpose.I always liked small form factor book self speaker cause I moved a lot.
I also like bookshelf speakers - some of my systems with bookshelf speakers have a sub and some don't. My office system uses NHT two way bookshelf speakers with 6 1/2" woofers - nice laid back, smooth sound that isn't as bright as my Paradigms, great for extended listening with bass response good enough they don't need a sub:

NHT Classic Two Bookshelf Speaker - $660 / pr (I bought mine used in mint condition for about 60% of this price)
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black?sc=12&category=3772#image-2

These also come in a three way version with bass response to 45Hz but they list for about $900 / pr:

Classic Three Bookshelf Loudspeaker
http://www.nhthifi.com/Three?sc=12&category=3772#image-4

If you really want a 2.1 system with smaller bookshelf speakers and a sub, they make smaller speakers and a small 8" sealed sub specifically designed to work with them to supplement their bass - some of their bookshelf speakers are even powered - you wouldn't need an AVR!:

NHT SuperOne 2.1 - $300 / pr
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperOne-2-1?sc=12&category=3772#image-5

Super 8 Powered Subwoofer - $350
http://www.nhthifi.com/Subwoofer-home-theater-Super-8?sc=12&category=3779#image-4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts