AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have some new a new HT setup i came from a samsung dvd 5.1 HTiB and a 32" LCD tv.

i upgraded my whole setup to

-Samsung 55" LED TV

-Onkyo NR709 Receiver

-Jamo S606HCS3 5.0 Speaker System

-BIC PL-200 Sub

now my problem is that for movies the dialog is on center channel and seems kinda low. i checked the settings and it says the Center channel is at -2.5db

i am not sure to recalibrate the speakers or if there are other settings i must change.

i read about getting a spl meter or check my wire connections.

please advice on what i can do

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Did you run Audyssey to calibrate the system in the first place???

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama
would an spl meter benefit me at all?
No. The Audyssey system is far superior to anything you can accomplish with an SPL meter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu
Did you run Audyssey to calibrate the system in the first place???
i ran the quick calibration not the full calibration where i palce mic in 6 areas around main listening zone

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Quote:
i ran the quick calibration
Are you sitting (experiencing low levels) in the location where you placed the Audyssey microphone?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Are you sitting (experiencing low levels) in the location where you placed the Audyssey microphone?
yes i placed the audyssey mic where i mainly sit at ear level mounted on a tripod during the "quick calibration" setup

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Quote:
i placed the audyssey mic where i mainly sit at ear level
Well then, your system is calibrated correctly for that point in space. If you find that the dialogue levels on the centre channel are "low" due either to your taste or hearing ability, then adjust the level of the centre channel upwards in small increments (ie 1.5dB) until you can hear it properly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Well then, your system is calibrated correctly for that point in space. If you find that the dialogue levels on the centre channel are "low" due either to your taste or hearing ability, then adjust the level of the centre channel upwards in small increments (ie 1.5dB) until you can hear it properly.
would raising center channel higher in dbs too much be bad?

am kinda scared to raise too high because i dont want to blow out my speaker since i just got it

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama /forum/post/20872763

am kinda scared to raise too high because i dont want to blow out my speaker since i just got it

Unless you're already listening to your system at a crazy volume, you won't have to worry about damaging your center by raising its gain.

However, you may get better results by using your 709's Dynamic Volume feature. Dynamic Volume narrows the dynamic range of the audio track, hushing up very loud passages and raising the level of quiet ones. This sounds a little dirty in a way, but you might as well give it a try--you may be pleasantly surprised at how effective it is when you need to clarify the speech in a movie soundtrack.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama /forum/post/20872763

Not if you do it in small increments. Most people cannot even detect an increase of 3dB so you will likely bump it up several times till you notice an improvement. Be patient and live with each step for a bit before bumping it up again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts