AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently have a Klipsch RP-450C Center Channel Speaker and am thinking of making a change. I have an open listening room of 31'x 24' mlp is 12' in front of the center channel. The Klipsch was a huge upgrade from my previous Polk center channel but I still feel like something is missing. Would the Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ be an upgrade? If not the Emotiva what then?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I presently have a Klipsch RP-450C Center Channel Speaker and am thinking of making a change. I have an open listening room of 31'x 24' mlp is 12' in front of the center channel. The Klipsch was a huge upgrade from my previous Polk center channel but I still feel like something is missing. Would the Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ be an upgrade? If not the Emotiva what then?
Yes. I think you'd do well with the Emotiva C2+

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know. The Reference Premier from Klipsch line is no slouch.

Now if you want a beast of a center to go with your 590s, the Sierra Horizon is an amazing speaker. But with a price to go with it: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/horizon/horizon.html

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yup, the C2+ will pair wonderfully and more than keep pace with the 590s. Based on my experience it should have more body than the Klipsch, though the 450c is not a bad speaker itself.

Before spending more money is there anything you can do placement-wise to see if that improves things? Is it perhaps sitting back off the edge of a TV stand or tucked all the way against a wall?

·
Registered
17,087 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Most likely, yes.

Or, you could try this 3 way Infinity center currently on sale for 1/3 of its normal price---ship it back on Infinity's dime if it doesn't impress:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+RC263.html
Wow..that's a lot of speaker for the money. I've always wanted to try a three way design with a Center channel. Would this be an upgrade over a Definitive CLR 2000?

4 inch mid range..1 inch tweeter. To 6.5 inch drivers. I wonder if it comes in other colors.

Was debating to match the debut reference DBR62 with a Center.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wow..that's a lot of speaker for the money. I've always wanted to try a three way design with a Center channel. Would this be an upgrade over a defensive CLR 2000?

4 inch mid range..1 inch tweeter. To 6.5 inch drivers. I wonder if it comes in other colors.

I'm not Zorba but I did own both the CLR2002 and CLR3000 for a long while as well as the RC263 and now the C2. IME both the RC263 and C2+ would be an upgrade in terms of tonal balance and clarity, which is the exact reason I moved away from the Def Tech centers in the first place. They perform fine overall but always came across to me as treble-heavy and not as wide sounding as I prefer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, the C2+ will pair wonderfully and more than keep pace with the 590s. Based on my experience it should have more body than the Klipsch, though the 450c is not a bad speaker itself.

Before spending more money is there anything you can do placement-wise to see if that improves things? Is it perhaps sitting back off the edge of a TV stand or tucked all the way against a wall?
The Klipsch is in a cut out are above the fireplace and below the Sony. I have it even with the front of the Sony but it is close to the back wall of the enclosure. I am having trouble describing what I find lacking with the Klipsch. I thought the Klipsch would be the perfect center because of the reputation for Klipsch to be bright and with dialogue I assumed that would be better. The dialogue isn't as clear as I expected it would be. Don't get me wrong it is not horrible, but I expected it to be clearer. Perhaps the issue is the location but I don't have another option. I will try moving it out a bit more and see if that helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most likely, yes.

Or, you could try this 3 way Infinity center currently on sale for 1/3 of its normal price---ship it back on Infinity's dime if it doesn't impress:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+RC263.html
That is a great price it may be worth a shot. The Airmotiv is currently unavailable. As I replied to another post I am wondering if placement is an issue. I will try bringing the Klipsch further out to see if that helps with clarity. If not I may try the Infinity or the Emotiva.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not Zorba but I did own both the CLR2002 and CLR3000 for a long while as well as the RC263 and now the C2. IME both the RC263 and C2+ would be an upgrade in terms of tonal balance and clarity, which is the exact reason I moved away from the Def Tech centers in the first place. They perform fine overall but always came across to me as treble-heavy and not as wide sounding as I prefer.
Thank you for the response. If you had to choose between the RC623 or C2+ or even C1+?

Looks like the C2 + is out of stock at the moment. I was trying to see if it comes in white to match my front speakers and media Center.

The C2 + looks like a large speaker and this may be a WAF problem.

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
Wow..that's a lot of speaker for the money. I've always wanted to try a three way design with a Center channel. Would this be an upgrade over a Definitive CLR 2000?

Definitely, yes. I've never heard a center speaker with 4" woofers that didn't sound bad, and I've never heard a DT speaker that wasn't treble-heavy (the SM series somewhat less so). If the dimensions of the Infinity center work for you I'd grab it before they sell out; you can always send it back on Infinity's dime if not 100% happy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thank you for the response. If you had to choose between the RC623 or C2+ or even C1+?

Looks like the C2 + is out of stock at the moment. I was trying to see if it comes in white to match my front speakers and media Center.

The C2 + looks like a large speaker and this may be a WAF problem.

I tried the C2 (original, before the C2+ came about) and the RC263 head-to-head in my room and preferred the C2 for what I perceived as slightly fuller sound at lower volumes. However, the RC263 opened up nicely at middle/higher volumes and is an incredible value at this price. Had I had it first without the C2 already in-hand I would have kept the RC263 and been perfectly happy.

The C1+ is a good center as well but I personally always opt for the largest center I can get.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just you're opinions. Is the Sierra Horizon worth 3 times the cost of the C2+ or even 6 times the cost of the Infinity?

Just wondering if this is one of those examples of that last 20% you get in performance...

Zorba, I may have s slough of questions for you....lol. thinking of starting some threads on Dacs between $300 and $600. The Bluesound node 2i is on my radar but cant find the exact Internal Dac info anywhere.

Also if I had a chance to build my own speaker through a popular speaker designer and select my own drivers for instance what would you do? Meaning a 2 channel music setup.

Assuming I'm going with bookshelves and possibly adding a musical sub down the line.

An MTM design?
A 3 way monitor with a dedicate
Bass and midrange driver?

2 way design?

I was thinking a seas or scan speak driver between 6 to 7 inches.

Also considering the beryllium tweeter.

I may private message you to go in more detail to not derail this thread unless the OP is ok with it .

I have a JTR 118HT that I'm happy with, but may be looking at sealed for music.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just you're opinions. Is the Sierra Horizon worth 3 times the cost of the C2+ or even 6 times the cost of the Infinity?

Just wondering if this is one of those examples of that last 20% you get in performance...

Zorba, I may have s slough of questions for you....lol. thinking of starting some threads on Dacs between $300 and $600. The Bluesound node 2i is on my radar but cant find the exact Internal Dac info anywhere.

Also if I had a chance to build my own speaker through a popular speaker designer and select my own drivers for instance what would you do? Meaning a 2 channel music setup.

Assuming I'm going with bookshelves and possibly adding a musical sub down the line.

An MTM design?

2 way design?

I may private message you to go in more detail to not derail this thread unless the OP is ok with it .

No issue with me Pick his brain :)

·
Registered
17,087 Posts

thinking of starting some threads on Dacs between $300 and $600.

An MTM design?

2 way design?

C2+ to Horizon center would be 10-20% improvement AT MOST. Might well be less than that...for HT use I would get the Horizon center without the RAAL upgrade.

Am not a believer in DACs at all, so can't help you there.

If I were building a 2 way music only setup I'd go with 2 way bookshelves with a RAAL tweeter plus a pair of 12-15" sealed subs from Rythmik or Hsu; the Ascend 2EX might be fine for that. I am curious about the Wharfedale Evos though. Not interested in DIY due to lack of tools and mechanical skills.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My fronts are Klipsch RP280Fs and I was thinking of picking up the 450C to match my fronts. I, too, am using a Polk center that has lackluster performance and doesn't live up with the 280s. Now, your post got me thinking. Should I not go with the 450Cs. I am also looking at RP-250Cs but they are smaller and I wanted to have the best I can get for the center. Interesting...

May be i will pick up your 450C if you ever decide to part with it :p

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
I, too, am using a Polk center that has lackluster performance and doesn't live up with the 280s.
With the exception of their LSi-M centers, Polk centers are crappy (CS series) or mediocre at best (CSi-A series).

Just get the $500 Infinity RC-263 at its jaw-dropping current sale price of $159 and be happy. Free return shipping to Infinity if you aren't.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My fronts are Klipsch RP280Fs and I was thinking of picking up the 450C to match my fronts. I, too, am using a Polk center that has lackluster performance and doesn't live up with the 280s. Now, your post got me thinking. Should I not go with the 450Cs. I am also looking at RP-250Cs but they are smaller and I wanted to have the best I can get for the center. Interesting...

May be i will pick up your 450C if you ever decide to part with it :p
Hmmm that may be an an idea

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I finally settled on my center channel, the Mirage omc2. Yup, its old, but it sounds great in my theater...damn good.

That infinity seems like a deal though too, wont be loosing to much money on that!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts