AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all, just had a chance to listen to Bower Wilkins HTC4 and HTC2. The HTC4 didn't sound anywhere near the HTC2 in the showroom but was more reasonably priced. I've read good thing about Paradigm's  center channel cc-690 and PSB Sychcrony one. Any thoughts on how these compare? Are they even in the same ballpark? I couldn't find a dealer to demo them. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The PSB Synchrony One is a much better speaker.

Your center channel and front speakers should be a matched set from the same company.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimectrs  /t/1525769/center-channel-bw-vs-paradigm-vs-psb#post_24566593

Hi all, just had a chance to listen to Bower Wilkins HTC4 and HTC2. The HTC4 didn't sound anywhere near the HTC2 in the showroom but was more reasonably priced. I've read good thing about Paradigm's  center channel cc-690 and PSB Sychcrony one. Any thoughts on how these compare? Are they even in the same ballpark? I couldn't find a dealer to demo them. Thanks for any input.

What Front L&R speakers are you using??? Your center should be same brand and model line as the front l&r.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I did something different. My center and front L and R are not matching. Given that they perform different tasks when in use, For me, I didn't necessarily think they must match. I listen to a lot of music so my priority was a good front L and R speaker. When I am not listening to music, then I am watching the TV..news..sporting events, sitcoms etc.. most of that type of programming (dialogue) plays through the center channel while the front L and R are silent or are playing supporting sounds. I think many people prefer a matching set for uniformity and looks. My 5 channel is mixed bag: Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Aperion Intimus Center, and PSB B5s for Surround. It all sounds darn good to me. I just wanted to provide a different perspective.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have a pair of Def tech 8060bps in the front right now with a cs8080 center channel which I use exclusively for movies and TV in my HT. Currently, I think the dialogue could sound better so I was planning to get a good center channel speaker then upgrade the L/R to match and move the DTs to the back for now. Just for clarification though, I meant to say the HTM2($2500) and HTM4($5000) diamond are the ones I listened to. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah to each is own, but the best way is to have all identical speakers. I have "matching" but not identical speakers, ported towers for front L&R, sealed center, and passive radiated angled baffle surrounds all made by same company and in same model line. They sound good but I can hear a difference from speaker to speaker as sounds travel around the room or if the same thing is being played thru all speakers... Next time I buy speakers I will buy 7 identical LCR speakers and have all vertically oriented except the center and the only reason that I will have a horizontally oriented center is because I don't have the room for it to be vertical.

·
Registered
112 Posts
While I have matching fronts, I won't harp on folks that don't. What you want is consistent sound b/t the front speakers. Less of an issue with surround and even less so with sub.

A simple gauge to determine if your L/R and C are timbre matched is to simply run some pink noise or test tones through each speakers. Use a fq analyzer with spl meter. Determine the tonality b/t the speakers. If they are of similar curves then you're good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts