AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe clipping is the proper term.

My center channel distorts when attempting to reproduce high-pitched sounds, screaming for example. I'm pretty sure the problem is not the speaker itself--I swapped it for one of my mains and the problem persisted. I afterward thought perhaps heat was the problem, so I positioned a fan to push some air behind my equipment. That hasn't worked.

What can I do? It happens at all volumes.

I'm running Heresys, an Academy and a VX-10 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR504.

Gurus, help me.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hmm.. maybe check this..

In your receiver, do you have that individual channel level boosted much above zero? If so, try lowering it.. (and then the other channels as needed to keep everything level).. and just turn the main volume up a little bit more (feed more power) to compensate for the change.

I've also seen this evident in bad film mixes. Does it happen with multiple titles?

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with your receiver/pre..

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
Its more likely you have a damaged speaker or center channel in the amp.

Move the center speaker to the left or right channel and see if the distortion moves with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeph It does happen with multiple titles. I also do generally have the center boosted +3 beyond the other channels. I'll try lowering it a bit.

Knuckle Like I wrote in my original post...I did change the center speaker for one of my main speakers, and the clipping manifested again. This leads me to believe that the center speaker itself is okay.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Is this just recent on an old unit or is the receiver brand new? If you've had it a while I would lean towards a bad center amp, unless you have it boosted way too much. Good luck and sorry to hear of the misfortune!! Hope it works out for the best for you.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster /forum/post/16996749

Knuckle Like I wrote in my original post...I did change the center speaker for one of my main speakers, and the clipping manifested again. This leads me to believe that the center speaker itself is okay.

Thanks for the responses.

Some days I speed read.

It sounds as if the problem is in the amp or preamps middle channel.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16996939

Some days I speed read.

It sounds as if the problem is in the amp or preamps middle channel.

That can be determined once the channels are all brought back to -0db and retested. An audio test DVD (check the DIY section for a free one) can let you pink noise each individual channel. With the MV set and each channel returned to -0db and all EQ turned off, he can begin testing to see if it's that one channel or if it's all channels.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The big issue is that it happens at ALL volumes.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare /forum/post/16997002

The big issue is that it happens at ALL volumes.

Missed that. Good one. Nevermind, it's not a power (amp) problem.

Input levels too high from the DVD player? But that should cause all channels to be effected.

Is the post processing with the +3db causing the problem maybe?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Yeah, receiver problem... Try center at +0dB and decrease all others by 3 dB.

A Heresy and Academy system should sound sweet!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm out for a bit. Will try suggestions later tonight.

The center on this receiver had actually never been used until a few weeks ago. I ran a phantom center for years and never experienced anything like this.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster /forum/post/16996649

I believe clipping is the proper term.

My center channel distorts when attempting to reproduce high-pitched sounds, screaming for example. I'm pretty sure the problem is not the speaker itself--I swapped it for one of my mains and the problem persisted. I afterward thought perhaps heat was the problem, so I positioned a fan to push some air behind my equipment. That hasn't worked.

What can I do? It happens at all volumes.

I'm running Heresys, an Academy and a VX-10 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR504.

Gurus, help me.

Okay, you said something about heat build up. Describe how you have the equipment positioned. Also try changing out the center channel wire for a new one. Are the Heresys the new model III's? What is Academy and VX-10?

·
Registered
720 Posts
The increased level could be causing the problem but....... still seams like just a bad amp section. Could be lucky and it is just the level.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/16997080

Okay, you said something about heat build up. Describe how you have the equipment positioned. Also try changing out the center channel wire for a new one. Are the Heresys the new model III's? What is Academy and VX-10?

klipsch academy is their heritage line center speaker. Velodyne vx-10 is my sub.

The receiver is in a poorly ventilated location that does appear to get quite hot. There is no equipment positioned directly below or above it.

Oh, and the heresys are all version 1.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster /forum/post/16997149

klipsch academy is their heritage line center speaker. Velodyne vx-10 is my sub.

The receiver is in a poorly ventilated location that does appear to get quite hot. There is no equipment positioned directly below or above it.

Oh, and the heresys are all version 1.

"poorly ventilated"......Can you explain where it's positioned or post a picture?

Have you checked the center channel speaker wire or replaced it? Heat can damage the sleeve around the wire causing ....................

"Houston, we have a problem".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay. Turning the various channels to +0db did not work, nor did then further turning down the center. New speaker wire didn't work. I even used Monster Cable that an old roommate must have purchased. Haha. The receiver was also completely cold when I began running these last tests.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sometimes sounds are simply recorded with distortion due to a mic overloading. Room acoustics can help cut down on this distortion, but it is still a fault of the original recording. At least this has been my experience, it may not be the problem you are currently facing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If it was one or two titles ok maybe, but what are the chances of everything he puts in are like that? At this point I would say it is time to have it professionally tested.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.