AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the advice of forum members I mounted my center channel speaker above my projection screen. The screen is only 12" from the ceiling (CRT projector) and my center channel is mounted between the top of the screen and the ceiling. The speaker doesn't seem to sound right. The close proximity to the ceiling is making the speaker echo and sound like it has too much bass. Is there anything I can do to correct this? Since it is so close to the ceiling would it be better to place on a stand on the floor?

PS--There is currently no sound treatment on the front wall. I was leaning toward some velour theater curtains but I'm not sure that would help with this problem.

Thanks

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
What you are hearing are "boundary effects". As you move this speaker slightly closer to the ceiling, or slightly further away, you'll hear the same effects but at different frequencies. Moving the speaker near another boundary ... like the floor ... you'll have similar issues. This is not uncommon with speakers that do not have controlled dispersion.

You can treat the ceiling and back wall, or place the speaker on a stand moving it away from any boundry ... floor, ceiling or wall. What is this speaker, btw?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The speaker is an Atlantic Technology 222 (System 220 center channel). All my speakers will eventually be replaced with the M&K 750THX speakers. This probably won't happen until later this year or next year. How much of the ceiling should I treat? What would be the best solution?

Gary

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.