AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pair of Destination Audio EF300T's (which are identical to the EMP EF30T's and the RBH Sound TK-5CT's). I really like them, but would like to upgrade from my humble Polk CSi25 center channel. I've got a couple of questions.

First, I've read about the inherent flaws in a horizontal MTM design. The matching center in this series is a horizontal MTM design (as is my current Polk). The speaker would likely be mounted above my TV, on top of the cabinet (with the tweeter angled toward the listening position, of course). Would I be better served by getting the matching bookshelf speaker from the same line as opposed to the MTM center channel? Both are rated down to 63 Hz.

Second, I have an opportunity to purchase an RBH MC-6C bookshelf speaker for a very good price. This speaker is a step up from the speaker series I currently own, but it has an aluminum woofer and tweeter, while my current speakers have polypropylene (or something like that) woofers and a silk-domed tweeter. Both speakers are spec'ed and measure very similarly, but I'm not sure if that necessarily translates into a timbre-matched speaker. Would this speaker be a good bet for me?

I hope my questions are clear and I've given you all enough information. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick /forum/post/17002548

I recently purchased a pair of Destination Audio EF300T's (which are identical to the EMP EF30T's and the RBH Sound TK-5CT's). I really like them, but would like to upgrade from my humble Polk CSi25 center channel. I've got a couple of questions.

First, I've read about the inherent flaws in a horizontal MTM design. The matching center in this series is a horizontal MTM design (as is my current Polk). The speaker would likely be mounted above my TV, on top of the cabinet (with the tweeter angled toward the listening position, of course). Would I be better served by getting the matching bookshelf speaker from the same line as opposed to the MTM center channel? Both are rated down to 63 Hz.

Second, I have an opportunity to purchase an RBH MC-6C bookshelf speaker for a very good price. This speaker is a step up from the speaker series I currently own, but it has an aluminum woofer and tweeter, while my current speakers have polypropylene (or something like that) woofers and a silk-domed tweeter. Both speakers are spec'ed and measure very similarly, but I'm not sure if that necessarily translates into a timbre-matched speaker. Would this speaker be a good bet for me?

I hope my questions are clear and I've given you all enough information. Thanks in advance for your help!

You might want to wait just a bit. There will soon be one more option.

These lovely speakers will be unveiled at our Northwest GTG (get together) in Lincoln City, Oregon on October 10. EMP is one of our sponsors and there is a 5.1 surround system that will be displayed for the first time anywhere...including a beautiful center speaker. It is part of their new Impression series. It mates with this tower. I've seen and heard them and they're a step up from the EF series. They're great sounding and the looks don't get much better. Pricing will blow your mind. Here's a tease. Sorry I don't have a picture of the center handy...but it looks like a center version of this tower. I do believe it is an MTM, however.

Here is the Audioholics brief review from the prototype showing.... http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...otype-speakers

If you're interested, here is the main thread to the event. Hopefully the thread will be updated this weekend to show the additional new sponsors (SVS, EMP, and ModWright).
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=53440 We'll also try to get the AVS thread updated this coming week for those interested in attending.

Good luck with your center channel search. Hopefully I've made it easier...not harder to decide.

Good cheer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mudslide, those speakers sound interesting, and I may be interested in seeing what they're like when they do come out. I guess my same question still stands though--will most of the RBH speakers closely match each other, or does the sound differ significantly from line to line? With my TK series speakers, (or F30 speakers, in EMP parlance), will they match with the Impression series speakers? How about the MC series speakers? I'm just kind of curious if I have to stick with the exact same product line for my center channel or not. I'd like to have a relatively close timbre match, but wonder how much (if anything) I'd be giving up by going with a speaker from a better line.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick /forum/post/17010765

Thanks Mudslide, those speakers sound interesting, and I may be interested in seeing what they're like when they do come out. I guess my same question still stands though--will most of the RBH speakers closely match each other, or does the sound differ significantly from line to line? With my TK series speakers, (or F30 speakers, in EMP parlance), will they match with the Impression series speakers? How about the MC series speakers? I'm just kind of curious if I have to stick with the exact same product line for my center channel or not. I'd like to have a relatively close timbre match, but wonder how much (if anything) I'd be giving up by going with a speaker from a better line.

Yes, I think you'll be fine with the timbre match. I've heard both models of EMP speakers (which are, as you note, virtually identical to the DA speakers). The new Impression series is more refined and has less harshness, in my opinion, but the presentation is still quite neutral in both. The huge bonus however is the startlingly lovely finish and curved cabinets on the new Impressions. I believe reviews will be forthcoming shortly over on Audioholics...and certainly after our big event in October.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.