AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is purchasing an M&K S-150 setup for his HT. Some of the plans changed a bit along the way, and he finds himself in the position of having to ditch the usual center channel for an S-150 setup, and go with some sort of MTM or other slim, wide design (to fit above/below the screen).

Now, I'm no M&K person (Vandersteen and Maggies are my preferences), so I'm a bit in the dark here on what to recommend for him. I'm concerned about matching timbre as much as possible to keep the M&K sound of the system which my friend likes.

The entire setup is fed from a Lexicon LX-7 via balanced connections from a Lexicon MC-12.

Can anyone recommend a "slim" (i.e. MTM type of cabinet) center channel which will match well with an M&K S-150 setup? The dimensions we have to play with are about 8"h x 52"w x 24"d for the opening below the screen, and same but 9"h above the screen.

TIA,

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Perhaps use one of the other M&K speakers, like the center from the 750 system. Or contact M&K and ask them, they are pretty helpful when it comes to stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm going to try to contact 'em. But I also wanted to get opinions from people who've heard them. What the manufacturer says, and what really is are often different worlds :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
why does he have to ditch the usual center for the s 150 setup?

if that is the case, i would just suggest ditching the rears and having 3 s-150's up front and wait to buy rears in the future.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The usual center channel, as I understand it, is the same basic size/shape as the S150 R & L channels, which won't fit in the "MTM slots" his designed created in the front of the room.

Is the usual center channel for the S 150 a different shape? AFAIK it's basically the same as the S 150.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You see, we need something which matches the timbre of the S-150 (as closely as possible), but fits in a more MTM type of space...

·
Registered
198 Posts
if u r absolutely going with the m&k s-150 setup, then going with another center channel should not be an option for u to consider. it seems like u r saying that u built a cabinit for it or something? if that is the case, then i would get rid of the cabinet. u can just put it on top of the tv and have it pointing downward (not sure which other s-150 u have, but the center channel points up or down, not straight).

m&k is specifically specifically designed for ht, and going with another center channel is definitely a bad idea unless someone from m&k "recomends" another center channel over the 150 for the 150 set up.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jon_k,

Thanks for the info. The problem is, it's not a TV - it's a front projection setup. We didn't want to go microperf, so setting the M&K center channel behind the screen now isn't possible, hence the need for a different type of center - one that can go above and/or below the screen.

I'll try pinging M&K again to see what they recommend.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It is best to always use identical speakers for the three main front channels. Contact Doug for an unbiased, non-subjective opinion on this setup: [email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why not just put the center below the screen on little table angled up at the listener. My friend has a projector setup with the center like this and it sounds great. The opposite is also true. You could mount it above the screen and angled down at the listening position.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tonygeno,

That's what I was looking for. Thanks, dude.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Hey, would someone please fill me in as to what "MTM" means?

Incidentally, M&K has discontinued the S-125 line---except for the center channel, because "it matches the timbre (and look) of the S-150 so well". So if it's important enough for them to keep it as an option in their product like, I think it's a reasonable compromise.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would ditch the whole theater before dumping the 150 in the center. It is truly a cut above. Cant he just use a MK stand and put the speaker in front (and below) the screen?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blocktrader,

Nope - no clearance. The screen is far enough from the bottom of the floor to put an S-150, but the S-150 would be directly on the ground.

I've gotten a recommendation for the Center 850 or Center 750 (both M&K). Any comments on those?

We have to strike a balance between good audio and asthetics - each one will suffer a bit, but finding the balance is the key.

Thanks for the info so far!

·
Registered
198 Posts
yubyub, sorry if i sound redundant, but i am still having trouble understanding why u can't use the 150 center channel. my friend has 3 s-250's and his center channel is basically on the ground pointing up (there is a cabinet under his tv where he has it which is basically ground level). the s250 is extremely similar to the s-150 and i just can't imagine why u would want to downgrade to something else.

how much room below the screen do u actually have? there is only a 6" difference in height bet/ the s-150 and the s-125.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jon_k,

Placing the s-150 on the floor would 1) present a hazard for his kids (he's got a very young one) - well, more of a hazard for the s-150, actually - and 2) would affect the asthetics of the room.

There is enough space to put an S-150 beneath the screen, but it wouldn't work out with the layout of the room. The front of the room is a custom made cabinet to house front projection screen along with the amp/pre-pro and such. Unfortunately, some sound quality will have to be sacrificed in order to keep the astehetics of the room.

In the end, he's more worried about having a room that he and his family will enjoy and use. I'm trying to keep the quality of his audio reasonable. It's a give and take kinda thing :D

I appreciate the thought, though. Hopefully, I'm not missing your point - if I am, then please feel free to slap mye upside the head with some reason.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just my .02¢ - I have M&K S100B's for my left/right, SS150mk2's for my surrounds, and MX150mk2 sub and an S125C for my center channel. The match between the S100B's and S125C is fantastic. As I understand it the 150's, 100's, and 125's all use the same drivers so you won't go wrong mixing and matching. On the other hand I think the 750/850 series speakers do not use the same drivers as the 150's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.