AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my big old Mitsubishi rear projection set a while back. I used to have all my equipment sitting on top and there was room for my center channel speaker to sit in between. When my new Sharp 70" UQ set arrived, I had to buy a cabinet to put it on. All the other stuff fits in the cabinet, but there is no space for the center channel speaker. The Sharp has short legs so there's only a couple of inches from the top of the cabinet to the bottom edge of the tv. I have an older matched set of ADS speakers which still look good and work well set up in a 5.1 configuration powered by my Integra DTS 80.3 receiver. I noticed that dialog is fair at best with the center channel out of the equation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to position a center channel? I suppose I could get some type of sound bar looking center channel and somehow raise the TV's feet off the cabinet to accommodate whatever center channel I can find that would reasonably match the other speakers. WAF will be an issue I promise you, but I'm thinking there's got to be a better way than what I have right now. Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I assume wall mounting either the TV or the speaker is not an option?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife didn't want it wall mounted so we opted for a nice piece of cabinetry. There are center drawers in the cabinet, but they are fairly narrow so a horizontal center channel speaker wouldn't fit anyway.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's gotta be the first time I've heard of a wife lobbying against wall-mounting. My wife basically insisted on it when we first moved into our house.

I'm afraid I don't have much advice to offer. Perhaps looking at some ultra-low profile speaker options that could be wall mounted above the TV? Something like the Martin Logan Motion SLM?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Post a photo of the setup so we can get a better idea, maybe? nalthien's post makes sense though.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Other than getting the wrong entertainment center, can't you set your TV on a box (you could build one) to raise it in order to not have your center channel block the screen?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is exchanging the entertainment center an option? There are many designs with a cutout for a center channel built in.

Failing that, a separate stand to put on the entertainment center with the TV on top and the center underneath, sounds like the most practical solution.

·
Registered
291 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts