AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i need help with a center channel. Im going to be buying one of the new pioneer receivers that are coming out in april, i have a set of floor standing pioneer speakers, not sure of the model number since im at work, but i remember them being rated max 100w at 6 ohms. I also have a 5.1 infinity system i believe the model being tss-450. These are rated somewhere along the lines of 100w but at 6 ohms. would that center channel match okay with the pioneers even though they have different impedance? Or should i get a new center as well? If its a new center, anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The best centre would be a speaker identical to your two fronts.

The second best would be either the matching centre or a smaller bookshelf from the same manufacturer and series as your fronts.

There is no third best, any other choice should be viewed as temporary while you try to find a speaker to satisfy one of the first two choices.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Like I say, it should be the same series as your fronts (whatever they are) so that they timbre match.

That way when something goes from left to right the pitch doesn't go wonky in the middle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that could be a problem. These speakers are fairly old, i got them in 1996 or so. Ill have to get the series number when im home but that could make it difficult to find a matching center

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Your best bet, if it can fit in your room, is to find someone who is selling a pair of those same old Pioneer speakers (just google them and you'll find a couple of options) and use one as your centre.

Otherwise think of finding a budget to replace all three fronts together.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmason23 /forum/post/15590300

i think i found the model number. Pioneer CS-G203.

Don't do that,must buy the same brand or models as a front speaker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Cant afford to buy all brand new speakers with a kid on the way, and using one of the floorstanding speakers as a center isnt really feasible. I can seem to find a center channel that matches those pioneers. so i guess im out of luck. If i bought a pioneer center that is 100w at 8 ohms and paired it with my pioneers that are 100w at 6 ohms, would that really sound that bad?

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmason23 /forum/post/15600225

Thanks for the replies. Cant afford to buy all brand new speakers with a kid on the way, and using one of the floorstanding speakers as a center isnt really feasible.

Actually, this is ideal as it is a perfect match to the others.

Quote:
I can seem to find a center channel that matches those pioneers. so i guess im out of luck. If i bought a pioneer center that is 100w at 8 ohms and paired it with my pioneers that are 100w at 6 ohms, would that really sound that bad?

It is doubtful that a modern Pioneer would match better than any other speaker. Also, the power rating and impedance are not relevant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didnt mean that it wouldnt work, i mean the speaker is pretty big, and it would look funny to use one as a center, and i would have nowhere to put it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts