AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of matching speakers for my surround..all are 8 inch, in ceiling speakers..the Front L & R will be mounted in the front columns next to the screen and the center I was going to mount just below it. Due to construction complications that may not be an option anymore and my only solution at this point is to purchase different center channel.. I was thinking something much smaller, lower profile (3x4 inches high, 5-10 inches wide) as it would fit the overall layout of the room and allow me to hide it. Problem is, I've read that you should have matching speakers for the Center and L, R speakers. Easy enough, except I can't find a matching center for my fronts. My speakers are Symphony Select and came with the house. I can barely find any info on the net about them and they don't make anything along the lines of what im looking for. At this point, replacing all the front speakers is out of the question so I guess what Im asking is...Will buying a new center channel that doesnt match the L & R make for a horrible listening experience? I plan on spending about 1-2 hundred on the center but I've read so much about it being a bad idea as they wont be in 'tune' with each other.

Any advice will help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you find a speaker from the same manufacturer that meets your size requirements? If not I would try to find a center speaker that utilizes the same type of speaker elements. Try matching poly cones with poly cones, titanium tweeters with titanium tweeters.

The reason why I say to try to use speakers from the same manufacturer is that typically they are going to be engineered by the same designers and may sound similar. Many times the center channel is slightly different in driver configuration/size than the mains but they are tuned (voiced) by the engineer to sound similar.

You may find that if you mix and match speakers that they indeed sound different by virtue of different materials used in drivers, efficiency and basic design elements. I would think that if you find something similar and use the basic calibration of your receiver to match levels you won't be severely dissapointed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.