AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of matching speakers for my surround..all are 8 inch, in ceiling speakers..the Front L & R will be mounted in the front columns next to the screen and the center I was going to mount just below it. Due to construction complications that may not be an option anymore and my only solution at this point is to purchase different center channel.. I was thinking something much smaller, lower profile (3x4 inches high, 5-10 inches wide) as it would fit the overall layout of the room and allow me to hide it. Problem is, I've read that you should have matching speakers for the Center and L, R speakers. Easy enough, except I can't find a matching center for my fronts. My speakers are Symphony Select and came with the house. I can barely find any info on the net about them and they don't make anything along the lines of what im looking for. At this point, replacing all the front speakers is out of the question so I guess what Im asking is...Will buying a new center channel that doesnt match the L & R make for a horrible listening experience? I plan on spending about 1-2 hundred on the center but I've read so much about it being a bad idea as they wont be in 'tune' with each other.

Im in no way an audiophile and if this out of tune sound is only noticable to super sensative ears then I wouldnt mind at all.

Any advice will help.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Will buying a new center channel that doesnt match the L & R make for a horrible listening experience?

In a nut shell.... yes. Or distracting at best. VOICES will sound different as they pan across the front sound stage. And an analogy of effects.... consider the throaty roar of a Shelby Cobra as it speeds across the sound stage.... only to have it sound like a '97 Yugo across the center of the screen....

Either save up and buy new L/C/R speakers that match.... or use the matching center and make it work. Just my $0.02.

YMMV

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.