AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my TV a few months ago but my Surround System is still in my living room. In my living room I have the center channel on top on my entertainment center. now I want to bring it into my basement but I'm not sure if I should put the center channel on a shelf above and behind the tv, it will also be behind the front speakers, or do I put it below the TV on the Shelf of the stand. I have seen it in both places before but not sure what would better. So i wanted to get some feed back before i make a decision.

Thanks.........

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
If you put it above you will want to make sure that it is far enough above so that the TV doesn't block any of the sound as it travels to the listening area.

I would think, however, that it will probably sound good in either location, but it might look better below the TV. I would just try both locations and see how it sounds. Have someone hold the speaker (or set it on a ladder or something) above the TV and listen and then put it under the TV and listen. Do whichever sounds best to you. It will also make a difference depending where your fronts are located so make sure you have them in postion first. Test the location with something that has sound traveling across the front of the room.

Stew

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Is the center channel angled in any way. Mine has a built in slight down angle. It worked perfectly on top of my entertainment center. When I built my theater room, I turned it upside down under the screen.

If you're a purist, you really don't want anything to break the sound field. However, i f you put it beneath you may need to angle it up slightly. If you have a back row, that could be problematic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no angle to it. Well if i put something under to angle it, it has to something soild so it would not vibrate the sound.... but angling it will change the direction of the sound and got to make sure it's not bouncing everywhere.... but i will try it in both places.....

Thanks for your input.....

vin

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You're welcome. I hope it helps.

Another thing to consider is that DTS doesn't have channel volume adjustment last I knew. I'm not sure if pushing the center back might affect dialog intelligibility or a slight disruption of the front soundfield.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crescent
You're welcome. I hope it helps.

Another thing to consider is that DTS doesn't have channel volume adjustment last I knew. I'm not sure if pushing the center back might affect dialog intelligibility or a slight disruption of the front soundfield.
Most receivers allow the user to increase or decrease the db of the center, lr, rr, etc. Get a SPL meter from Radio Shack, they still sell them right? You will be amazed at the difference without one, unless of course, you have a newer receiver that has the "room equalization" technology. Yamaha and Pioneer, for example, have this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks i will give it a shot, my receiver is not that new it's 4-5 yrs old.. 5.1 dts 5 x100w per channel though so it does the job... I going to start moving things today...

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crescent
OK. Then it must be the delay. DTS does not allow the adjustment to one of these settings.
It is not the delay..although, yes, many receivers also feature delays (usually in ms) so that no matter where the speaker is located (LF, RF, CC eg.) "hits" your ear at the same time. DSP's do this to create "Hall, Pavilon, etc.". My unit, JVC 888RX, can increase the amount of sound as well as the delay. This is with the unit in DTS mode for SS, it also decodes PCM Bit stream. Many will set one of the speakers as the "reference" speaker, ie you can not change the settings for this speaker. You then adjust the others based upon a 75 db volume rating from the SPL meter that the "reference" speaker is set at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.