AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recommendations on a center channel speaker to match Spica TC-50. These are no longer made, and the company no longer exists. I want something that will be timbre matched as much as possible.

My choices so far are:

1. Buy a single TC-50. I've actually found someone who is selling a single. If you know what these look like though, you would know this would have a very low WAF. I myself think it would be distracting while watching TV.

2. Build a center with Audax drivers that were used in the original TC50. This is a little more than I wanted to do, and I'm not sure if the current drivers really match. They do sell a kit and it could be modified to use the same tweeter.

3. Buy a new center such as B&W lcr6 or diva or psb or paradigm or ???. This is what I would like some help on. Budget would be
4. Buy all new and give up on the Spicas. This would be a shame, as they've been the centerpiece of my system for a long time. But they are showing their age. Budget is a major factor here. I couldn't afford the same quality.

Right now I use a B&W 303 borrowed from my music only setup for watching DVDs. They're fantastic speakers on their own but it doesn't really blend well. I use phantom center mode for other TV watching. The TC 50s image so well that you don't notice that the center is missing.

Anybody have any opinions? or other options?

·
Registered
784 Posts
1.) Buy another TC-50!

These are great little performers. For FPTV, there is no issue, its better to use three identical speakers. For RPTV and direct view sets, the horizontal MTM configuration, 0o0 has become popular because it sits nicely atop the TV. The horizontal MTM configuration is non-optimal for a center channel speaker.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
As a former TC-50 owner, I'd definitely say buy the single TC-50. As you know, it's a pretty distinctive sounding speaker particularly in the way it portrays space. I think you'd find it tricky to match something else to it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21,355 Posts
Get a singel TC-50 or the later model, TC-60. I once had five of them in my old basement system!!!!! Sounded great for the cost!! Outstanding imaging.

·
Registered
29,493 Posts
zacster:
Quote:
1. Buy a single TC-50.
I'll add another vote for buying a third TC-50. Their imaging is simply stunning! I don't know if the TC-50 is sheilded, so you may have to keep it a bit away from your TV. Maybe you can put all 3 front speakers on stands at the same height (a little below the TV screen)...?
Quote:
2. Build a center with Audax drivers that were used in the original TC-50.
Too much trouble, and probably won't sound as good as a TC-50.
Quote:
3. Buy a new center such as B&W lcr6 or diva or psb or paradigm or ???.
As nice as those speakers might be, they won't be a sonic match for your Spicas. Left-to-right and right-to-left pans won't be as seamless as with three TC-50s across the front.
Quote:
4. Buy all new and give up on the Spicas.
Never ever do that! IMHO there's not much out there that gives the kind of precise & solid imaging as those Spicas do. This will come in handy even with 3 speakers across the front; after all, you'll still need to have phantom imaging between those 3 front speakers.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it's unanimous. And the cheapest option too. I can get the single for $100, if still available.

Now if I got another pair for the rear...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Do be careful where you set the crossover for them. I would suggest a minimum of 80Hz.

They also need to be driven carefully; a loud home theater speaker they are not. I eventually ended up using two pairs as surrounds, and heretically mounted them upside down at the intersection of the wall and ceiling. As is was a low ceiling (basement) then ended up creating a very nice surround envelopment. And as surrounds they weren't too heavily stressed.

They seemed to blend well with some Snells I had at the time...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't play them too loud, and I don't currently have a sub. I'm not into blowing the house down.

I am curious about how a sub would fill in the bottom end though. Any recommendations? (

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would strongly suggest you invest in a sub. Not only does it help protect the Spicas and give you actual bass (which the TC-50's never really even pretended to have), but it also helps clear up the upper bass when those poor little woofers can stop flailing around.

I don't have any recommendations as I have not surveyed the

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zacster
I won't play them too loud, and I don't currently have a sub. I'm not into blowing the house down.

I am curious about how a sub would fill in the bottom end though. Any recommendations? (

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.