AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the Ascend forums but this forum has much more traffic and I'm hoping for a good idea.

I need some help deciding what to do with the 340SE Center Channel. The only two options I can see is either above the TV or on a center channel mount.

It won't fit in either of the shelves since it's 7.5" in height.

The problem with it mounted above is there is no 'wall' in the center of the TV. It would need two mounting points 39.5" apart.

If I were to put it on it's own stand, the stand would need to be 19.5" high and perferably match the color scheme I have going on now (Piano Black, Cherrywood, or Black Tempered Glass).

Anyone have any ideas?

My TV Stand (Note, My stand didn't come with the top piece. However I don't have a wall to mount the top piece too anyway):
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...cm_pla=1222604

My Left & Right Speaker Stands (Piano Black)
http://www.audio-video-furniture.com...ker-Stands.htm

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Thats obviously not ideal, but you CAN get it to work.

Alot of folks with larger Centers put them on wall mounted TV stands(stands for TVS in stores and stuff), cuz they can handle the weight and position it perfectly.

They sell 2 arm units as well, you COULD mount a wall mount between 2 of those windows, and use the arms to adjust it right over the center of the TV, it would work easily, and be MOSTLY out of sight.

I posted this at Ascend forum:
http://store.videomountstore.com/hedudoarmtvw.html

I don't know what the depth is from the rear wall to the front edge of the TV, that unit I linked is longer because I have a CRT RPTV, so I need more extension.

You will need to add a bit if you mount it off center(due to that middle window).

There ARE other wall mounts in that thread as well, but IF you decide to go off center, make sure you get a unit that extends far enough to go from off center, to the center of the TV, flush with the TV Screen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response - I will actually update this thread later with the measurement from the wall to the front of the TV. I *think* it was roughly 26 inches but I may be wrong.

A stand mounted to the side with an arm may not be a bad idea. Will look into that.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
A fairly deep shelf that bridges that center window, or a stand in front(least likely IMO because of components).

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
BTW, I don't know what type/depth TV you have, but there IS a mount that has rear legs that sit on the curve of the back of some sets(taking MOST of the load,and rests on the top as well).

My TV slopes VERY steeply, so not for me.

You'd have to determine if that is an option.....

It LOOKS like the weight is distributed to the rear, and the front legs grab the face(to keep it still? I dunno)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that wont work.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP (HL-S6188). Doesn't take much pressure to push the picture down

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiluven /forum/post/0

I'm pretty sure that wont work.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP (HL-S6188). Doesn't take much pressure to push the picture down

I DO THINK that the little legs in the front grab the TOP/FRONT of the screen, and all the weight is shifted to the rear legs/back of TV.

Did you read the customer reviews, there is at least 1 guy on there with a Sammy that uses it NP.

I've never used it myself, so I can only go on what folks that have say about it.

I actually remember folks talking about this stand over a year ago in the RPTV forum.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiluven /forum/post/0

Thank you Muzz..

Can anyone confirm whether or not this will work just fine on my Samsung DLP (HL-S6188)? The speaker is 26 pounds.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

Cant confirm - but can confirm that my 6187 is pretty "soft" or "flimsy" in terms of putting any weight on it. My view is that with your $2000 display, why risk either damage or even screen distortion just to mount your speaker. Not worth it. Mount it on the wall above TV, or install a deep shelf right above the TV on the wall. Or if you're handy you might even be able to rig up something with thin wood or metal that basically is a "box" around the TV - not too noticeable but would put the weight on the TV stand rather than the top of the TV. That might not work out to look good though, who knows.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*cough* 3300 dollar TV .. lol

But yes I agree with you. There is no wall above my TV but there are little wall panes between the windows I could mount to but it is 39" apart as you can see in the picture above.

What if I hung it from the ceiling? Get some hooks and some sort of shelf and hang it from the ceiling?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Whatever works to make sure you're not putting weight on the TV.

Can you move the TV back on the stand and just set the center on the stand in front of the TV? Might block your remote control though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm just going to mount a shelf (piece of wood painted, sigh heh) from the two walls between the windows. If I get the cut close enough, it will look pretty flush.

I hoped I could do exactly that Hogan, but the TV won't go back far enough for it unfortunately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts