AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there's any reason why hooking up a single speaker to an AVR's center channel output might not work or is inadvisable?

I'm hoping to use an LX16 bookshelf speaker in a 1.1 rig, for the time being.

Preliminary results appear favorable ... the Yamaha RV 367's menu didn't allow a "none" option, so I set the non-existent front speakers to small ... I set the center speaker to small and chose the "5 speaker stereo" format - the single speaker worked in this format, but not in simple stereo mode.

Also, my Dynamo700 sub appears to be working as usual.

Thanks (I'm hoping this configuration doesn't fry my AVR or the speaker :)

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
I'm wondering if there's any reason why hooking up a single speaker to an AVR's center channel output might not work or is inadvisable?

Preliminary results appear favorable ... the Yamaha RV 367's menu didn't allow a "none" option, so I set the non-existent front speakers to small ... I set the center speaker to small and chose the "5 speaker stereo" format - the single speaker worked in this format, but not in simple stereo mode.

You're not going to be getting the information from the left and right speakers. You need at least a stereo pair at minimum because multi-channel soundtracks can be folded down properly via the surround processor.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think you should be getting all the content in 5 channel stereo. I see no issue with this aside from the obvious soundstage issues

Reactions: TomC1315

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Is there a reason for doing this?
Yes there is :)

I began wondering the other day how a single speaker, hooked up to the living room AVR's surround back LEFT terminal (for a 6.1 setup), would sound in the kitchen ... it sounded really good.
Two evenings ago, after drilling a hole just above the top kitchen cabinet and another hole 8 ft. below it on the other side of the wall, I successfully ran a speaker wire through the wall which separates the the kitchen and the living room.

Now we can listen to our digital music in both rooms, and the single LX16 in the kitchen is running a mono "MULTI CH STEREO" sound. It blends together really well.
I had been considering, after hearing the initial results a couple of days ago, installing a ceiling speaker. But the LX16 sounds so good where it is that I'll be leaving it on top of the kitchen cabinet.

The speaker in question was part of a 2.1 rig in the exercise room ... we're either riding the elliptical machine and watching Netflix, or lifting weights and listening to music - so, soundstage is neither here nor there, in these circumstances ... and FWIW, my wife can only hear out of one ear, so soundstage is never an issue for her.

I'm hoping that the 1.1 rig works out in the exercise room so I don't need to buy another LX16.

S11_14-12-06-_067.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
So actually you are not using center speaker only, but whole surround in "multi ch stereo" mode...but your center speaker is in other room. So in that case...why not grab two surrounds and stick them in kitchen? If you watch real 5.1/7.1 content in living room, you might miss some dialogue in center? :D

·
Registered
9,184 Posts

You'd probably be better off with a good BT speaker for you exercise room. I have this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_731DPBLUII/Peachtree-Audio-deepblue2.html

It sounds better than just about any pair of bookshelf speakers and amp you could get for the same price. Plus it has more bass. The amount of bass and the quality of it is simply amazing given the form factor.

Reactions: TomC1315
1 - 8 of 8 Posts