AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two channel system that I like and want to move into my tv area. I thought about creating a HT system for fronts and a center channel, but I would need a processor, an additional amp for the center channel, and have to risk a loss of sound quality by using the processor for my 2-channel listening.

The reason I would have to use a processor for my 2-channel listening if I wanted a HT set up is that my source, Squeezebox , does not have preamp inputs and I do not want to add a preamp to my 2-channel system (additional expense, possible loss of transparency).

I really don't care about having a surround system, but do want to improve upon the sound quality of the tv's speakers. As I see it, I have two options:

Buy a center channel speaker only and connected it to the tv via a separate poweramp. I assume I would get much better vocal reproduction this way by bypassing the tv's internal speakers and not having to make any changes to my 2-channel system. Would a center channel only actually work the way I am hoping?

The other option is getting a center channel speaker, additional amp, and a preamp/processor. If I went this way, I'd want a preamp/processor that is fairly transparent when playing music. Since my Squeezebox doesn't have preamp inputs and I don't want to add a preamp, it will will have to feed into preamp/processor. Are there any preamp/processors that are fairly transparent (under $1000) when playing music while using the processor as a preamp?

If not, and the center channel only option will work, I'd go in that direction. Yet, if I can get a fairly transparent preamp/processor for a reasonable price that I can use to play music without having to bypass the processor, I'd probably go in that direction.

I don't have any experience with HT and would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What kind of amp and speakers do you currently have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi im not sure on processors as a decent one is going to cost alot more than $1000

But regarding the centre speaker, any half decent centre speaker will lift the dialogue for you via the tvs speaker out or via the tvs rca out if it has some, as the speaker will cut at around 85 Hz and is designed for the centre channel use.

I 've tryed it using a smallish sony centre speaker via the tvs speaker out and it works quite well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently have Monarchy SM-70 Pro monoblocs and Totem Arros. I plan to add a subwoofer to provide a bit more bass. I realize this isn't the best equipment around and it very well may be that I can't detect a difference between my music played via the processor and without it. I do feel I have a critical ear, though. I guess my satisfaction in using a processor will depend how poorly it affects the sound for 2-channel listening.

Any other thoughts about which way I should go?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Man, you add a whole other meaning of keeping it simple. Nothing wrong with that, it's the best way to go for the purest signal. Anyway back to your situation. I don't recommend buying a center speaker to replace your TV's speakers. It will certainly sound better than your TV speakers but won't much low frequency extension as Import mentioned above and it will be mono sound. If you don't care about the two reasons listed above and just want to keep your setup clean and simple and right to the point then I can understand.

About the processor thing. In my experience the amplifier stage effects the sound way more than the preamp stage does. I can safely say that the amp stage is at least 75% responsible for what is being sent to your speakers at the very least. I'm not saying that better preamp circuitry will make no difference, but not nearly as big as a power amp. As picky as you sound you will probably be able to pick up these small differences if there are any especially since you would be listening hard for them.

With all that being said, I advise you not to change anything at all with your music setup, because I'm sure you will hear some difference of some sort since there are so many variables that are being added if you choose to get a preamp/processor. Keep in mind that they would be sonic differences that most people wouldn't even hear or care about if they did. It doesn't sound like you can live with that so don't change anything on your music system.

For reinforcing the sound of your TV there are several options:

-A decent set of computer speakers

-A cheap stereo receiver and good small speaker or speakers

-A cheap surround receiver with any number of speakers to start off with and eventually

go surround with all small speakers.

Ok maybe that's not a lot but I'm assuming that you just want something better than your crappy TV speakers which isn't hard nor is it expensive to do. However if you want the same resolution that you get on your 2 channel setup, you can do it just as simple, but get ready to pay some dollars. I hope this helps you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts