AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. My speakers across the front are like this and I need to build a stand for the center channel speaker:

PSB Image 6T left and right and Image 9C center. Placement decisions are all concerning vertical positioning.

I have the ability to place the center speaker so that the top of the center is directly in line with the tops of the 6 T's. The 6T's have a tweeter at the top and the 6.5" midrange/woofer below. The 9C center has, of course, the 6.5" mid/woofers flanking the tweeter. I can put the center line of the center tweeter/woofers at the same height as the 6T left and right tweeter, or in between the tweeter and woofer, or in line with the mid/woofer.

This is fidgity nit picking and we're literally only talking about a range of placement of 5 to 6 inches up or down. My screen is going to be high up on the wall.

I think forcing the center up higher than the side speakers, so that the center line is level with the tweeter is not a good idea. I think putting the speaker so that the center line of the center speaker is either in between the midrange/woofer and tweeter of the side speaker, or in-line with the woofer, is the best.

Any ideas? Should I place the center with the center line in between the tweeter and mid/woofer of the side speakers, or in-line with the mid-woofer?

What I plan to do for now is build a center channel stand so that the center channel midline is in line with the mid/woofers. If I decide to place it higher, it will only require a shim or adjustment of placing something 3 inches high underneath the center channel.

The benefit of higher placement is that the tweeters are in closer alignment. The benefit to the lower placement is that the center channel speaker will be lower and block less of the screen if your head is positioned low.

Really, the placement will be fine either way. Just checking for last minute placement tweaking advice.

:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but 5 or 6 inches ought not make that much difference unless you're sitting really close to your setup. By the time the sound gets out 10+ feet to where you're probably listening, it ought to blend nicely with the FR & FL speakers regardless where in that range it's sitting. If not, your shim idea isn't a bad compromise/fix. Just my $0.02

That said, how do you like your 6T's and center? I was just about to post and see if anyone in here owns them. I've read a few reviews and seen some pics, but there aren't any dealers in Arizona...

What else did you listen to when you bought them and were you able to demo the Stratus Silveri? I'm a little scared to buy them until I find someone with similar taste in speakers who owns a pair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.