AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We are redoing our basement, and for the first time, will have space for a proper home theater setup (not dedicated space though--still needs to meet WAF). I am trying to figure out how best to position my center channel speaker. We will have a 77" Sony X900H sitting on some sort of media console (wife does not want wall mounted). I am not sure how I should handle center channel in this situation--if I just rest it on the console, it will block part of the TV. I could elevate the TV (some sort of blocks), but this is likely not going to look very good, and is likely to also increase likelihood of kids knocking something over.

The other option is to put the speaker in a dedicate space *in* the console table itself. I am building the console table (woodworking is a hobby), so it would be fairly straightforward to add a space for the speaker in the cabinet, though of course this could have implications on sound quality and positioning (i.e. the speaker is likely to be a bit lower than ideal).

What do others do in this scenario? Is there a preferred way to handle this? Open to any ideas.

FWIW, I am planning to build the speakers, and will likely be going with the Cobalt-8 MTM from DIYSG.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use a smaller version of this stand for my 65" so the center channel can go on top of the console: https://www.amazon.com.au/FITUEYES-Universal-Tabletop-Adjustable-TT107003GB/dp/B01CORQRX0

There's also this if you don't want the stand foot in the center of the TV: https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Universal-Stand-Screen-TVS001/dp/B01HE1IVNA/ref=sr_1_4

Every time I have tried putting the center channel in a shelf in the stand/console, I can't stand how it sounds, and it makes it challenging to find a center that fits in the narrow shelves of most consoles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every time I have tried putting the center channel in a shelf in the stand/console, I can't stand how it sounds, and it makes it challenging to find a center that fits in the narrow shelves of most consoles.
Yeah, this is my concern--dont want to go through the effort of designing something to hold the speaker only to find out it sounds terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions--seems like there should be an option there I can figure out.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
We will have a 77" Sony X900H sitting on some sort of media console (wife does not want wall mounted). I am not sure how I should handle center channel in this situation--if I just rest it on the console, it will block part of the TV. I could elevate the TV (some sort of blocks), but this is likely not going to look very good, and is likely to also increase likelihood of kids knocking something over.

The other option is to put the speaker in a dedicate space *in* the console table itself. I am building the console table (woodworking is a hobby), so it would be fairly straightforward to add a space for the speaker in the cabinet, though of course this could have implications on sound quality and positioning (i.e. the speaker is likely to be a bit lower than ideal).
Putting the speaker inside the console would be ok if you use a front ported or sealed not rear ported cabinet, then you'd want to make sure there is adequate space above the speaker so that you can angle it upwards enough to aim the tweeter at ear level where you sit.

A much easier solution would be to buy or build a center speaker stand and put the speaker just in front of the console, as in the photo below.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Putting the speaker inside the console would be ok if you use a front ported or sealed not rear ported cabinet, then you'd want to make sure there is adequate space above the speaker so that you can angle it upwards enough to aim the tweeter at ear level where you sit.

A much easier solution would be to buy or build a center speaker stand and put the speaker just in front of the console, as in the photo below.
Is the center speaker tilted upwards because it's below ear level?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Reactions: lwanted

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You can get a VESA mount for your TV that sits on top of a console table. This will allow you to raise your TV to allow for a real centre speaker. It also has the benefit of not drilling into your wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts