AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help on what to do about the center channel. I have read a couple threads about the center placement with screens and most of the advice was to go with a AT screen and that the audio gains offset the minimal picture loss of an AT screen. I believe a lot of this advice was comparing a "normal" screen vs a AT screen. Not sure how this would apply when dealing with an ambient light situation.

My theater space is closed in on three sides and does not have much direct light and at night can have none at all. The issue I have, and why I have been targeting the Slate screen by SI, is that we often have people over for football games and I would like to keep the lights up during these events.

Layout of my basement can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...1618-basement-layout-will-projector-work.html

Basement has 9' ceilings. Couch will be more centered than the pic shows and the 115" screen will be where it says TV. Also, I am moving the equipment and going in wall for the front speakers so the two closets shown on the drawing will not be there. For football games the couch and the bar over looking the theater area will be in use.

Screen size:
115" Diag
101" W
57" H

Looking for advice on how to have great performance (audio and visual) when watching movies at night, while having a very good experience when leaving the lights up and watching the game with a large group.

Maybe it isn't this simple, but:

1. AT screen with the speakers located behind
  2. Slate screen with the center high
  3. Slate screen with the center low

Thoughts or advice?

Thank you!

Granger

·
Registered
21,029 Posts
Looking for some help on what to do about the center channel. I have read a couple threads about the center placement with screens and most of the advice was to go with a AT screen and that the audio gains offset the minimal picture loss of an AT screen. I believe a lot of this advice was comparing a "normal" screen vs a AT screen. Not sure how this would apply when dealing with an ambient light situation.

My theater space is closed in on three sides and does not have much direct light and at night can have none at all. The issue I have, and why I have been targeting the Slate screen by SI, is that we often have people over for football games and I would like to keep the lights up during these events.

Layout of my basement can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...1618-basement-layout-will-projector-work.html

Basement has 9' ceilings. Couch will be more centered than the pic shows and the 115" screen will be where it says TV. Also, I am moving the equipment and going in wall for the front speakers so the two closets shown on the drawing will not be there. For football games the couch and the bar over looking the theater area will be in use.

Screen size:
115" Diag
101" W
57" H

Looking for advice on how to have great performance (audio and visual) when watching movies at night, while having a very good experience when leaving the lights up and watching the game with a large group.

Maybe it isn't this simple, but:

1. AT screen with the speakers located behind
  2. Slate screen with the center high
  3. Slate screen with the center low

Thoughts or advice?

Thank you!

Granger

I have my center mounted above my screen, and it works well.

You will need to pick a speaker line that has a center that will work in your set up. Mine are Martin Logan Motion series - the center is a SLM XL speaker. It works great.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Can anyone provide some experience or suggestions here? I would really appreciate the help and I am getting pretty close to finalizing the HT.

Thanks,

Granger

I use a phantom center, but if I could I would use an AT screen and a center channel for sure.

I agonized over whether I needed an ambient light rejecting screen or not. I have my PJ in my living room dropping in front of my plasma so I was worried with all this "bat cave" talk. Because of the high cost of the light rejecting screens and the limited viewing cones I couldn't commit. I finally decided to get a "throw away" screen http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Spectrum-Electric-Projection/dp/B000YTRFEG so I could at least use the projector until I made up my mind.

What I found out was that I didn't need to spend 4 or 5k on a screen! For under $200 dollars the Elite screen was amazing IMO. The only problem was I found I wanted a tensioned screen and more drop from the ceiling. So I returned that screen and ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A7Z75A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. So for under 1K I'm thrilled with my screen. The lighting levels needed to enjoy a football game is perfectly acceptable.

Why am I telling you this? Because maybe you should buy a "throw away" screen before you commit to an expensive purchase you might find you don't need. :)

Edit: Just realized the date of your first post and I'm thinking that screen purchase might have happened already. In that case ignore everything I just said, lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a phantom center, but if I could I would use an AT screen and a center channel for sure.

I agonized over whether I needed an ambient light rejecting screen or not. I have my PJ in my living room dropping in front of my plasma so I was worried with all this "bat cave" talk. Because of the high cost of the light rejecting screens and the limited viewing cones I couldn't commit. I finally decided to get a "throw away" screen http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Spectrum-Electric-Projection/dp/B000YTRFEG so I could at least use the projector until I made up my mind.

What I found out was that I didn't need to spend 4 or 5k on a screen! For under $200 dollars the Elite screen was amazing IMO. The only problem was I found I wanted a tensioned screen and more drop from the ceiling. So I returned that screen and ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A7Z75A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. So for under 1K I'm thrilled with my screen. The lighting levels needed to enjoy a football game is perfectly acceptable.

Why am I telling you this? Because maybe you should buy a "throw away" screen before you commit to an expensive purchase you might find you don't need. :)
Great points and thanks!!! I have somewhat tested this already but my issue isn't uncontrollable light, as I can get this room very dark. The issue is more the use of the room and wanting to be able to maintain full lights in a room while still seeing the screen for football parties. The non light rejecting screens just washed out too much for my taste. The Slate screen I am getting will still wash out some, but seems to hold the picture better in full light then most.

I really do appreciate your help and thank you!

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Great points and thanks!!! I have somewhat tested this already but my issue isn't uncontrollable light, as I can get this room very dark. The issue is more the use of the room and wanting to be able to maintain full lights in a room while still seeing the screen for football parties. The non light rejecting screens just washed out too much for my taste. The Slate screen I am getting will still wash out some, but seems to hold the picture better in full light then most.

I really do appreciate your help and thank you!
NP. Yeah, full lights aren't happening with typical screen gains. But I was surprised at how much light could be on in my room and still enjoy a football game. It turned out acceptable to me and I saved a bunch of money and didn't have to sacrifice viewing angles.

But everyone has different needs, rooms, and tolerance for PQ, so no right solution for everyone.

Good luck. Hope you find the right solution.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NP. Yeah, full lights aren't happening with typical screen gains. But I was surprised at how much light could be on in my room and still enjoy a football game. It turned out acceptable to me and I saved a bunch of money and didn't have to sacrifice viewing angles.

But everyone has different needs, rooms, and tolerance for PQ, so no right solution for everyone.

Good luck. Hope you find the right solution.
Thanks again. The viewing angles were the thing that pushed me to the Slate vs the Black Diamond. I guess I will see soon enough. Construction on the basement starts in 2 weeks, so mid to late-June I should have some pics to share.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts