AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help and I just can't afford to spend as much as i'd like. My current setup:

Onkyo SR502 Receiver

Velodyne VRP-10 Sub

50" Samsung Plasma

Speakers are some 10-year old Sonys...couldn't even tell you the model number or anything.

First things first, I need to replace those speakers more than anything. Most likely i'll need to do this in stages with the center speaker first.

My budget is probably no more than $350. Preferably i'd like to stay around $200. Any recommendations for center speakers in that price range?

Going forward, would you suggest I upgrade my sub when I'm ready to get new fronts and surrounds or will my current receiver be adequate?

It's a medium-sized living room and i use it mostly for gaming, bluray movies, cable and occasionally music.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
First of all, you need to keep your FRONTS (left, center, right) speakers same make and model. You shouldn't be mixing them up with different brands.

Here are a few cheap options to look at:

A 5.0 affordable system, not sure if they are any better than your Sony:

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Polk Monitor are selling cheap at newegg. Like Polk Monitor 40 and a Polk CS2.

The best way is to actually go out and audition as many speakers as you can. I don't care if its even best buy or frys. Go out and listen to what each brand brings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Calnbs.

Looks like the CS2 is only about $150. Polk Monitor 60s are about $150 each. I could probably deal with that. My only concern is the size of the CS2. I have an existing wall-mount that i would really prefer to continue using if at all possible and the CS2 being 11 inches deep would probably make that impossible.

Would the CSi3, CS10, or CS1 along with Monitor 60s work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18217328

what size are your L/R channels currently? Bookshelf or floorstanding? How much music will you be listening to?

Ron

Floorstanding. About 40 inches tall, 12 inches wide and 11 inches deep.

I listen to a fair amount of music on this system, mostly streamed through my 360. But my primary concern is how the system sounds with bluray movies and 360 and PS3 games.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Why the center first? '...occasionally music...' I would think front L and R first, but that's me.

Whatever the reason, the recommendation for a particular speaker brand is secondary to matching the front three, as per calnbs advice. My advice? Save for the front L and R first (you can always set that receiver to phantom center mode). Second rec would be to budget and save a bit longer for matching fronts and center at the same time. If you buy based on the center, just know that you'll really need to eventually get the matching fronts, regardless of what brand you go with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts