AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just ordered the Infinity Beta C360 today to go w/my Beta 50's, I'm running them as Large at 80Hz on my Onkyo receiver (don't have/need a sub) & was wondering if I should also run the C360 as Large? I know you're supposed to run most speakers six inches & under as small, the C360 has duel 6.5" woofers, one 4" mid & a 1" tweeter. How does every one here run their center channel.. do you run it set to Large & set the receiver's crossover to cut at a certain Hz?

Thanks for the input & any setup tips would be great.. I'm still kind of new to the home theater thing & can use a little assistances!

Thanks, Phil B.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_06 /forum/post/12890777

I'm running them as Large at 80Hz

This doesn't make sense. Either they're large with no Xover or they're small with a Xover.

Ed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ekb,

I'm running my mains Large, center Small & the surrounds Small, I have the receiver's x-over set to 80Hz. Does this make any since? Like I said.. I'm still new to all of this! lol

So, if I have them set to Large, there is no x-over for those speakers & they are set as full range.. & the only speakers effected by the x-over are those set to small!? I think I understand.. I was thinking when I set the crossover to 80Hz that was for all the speakers no matter what they were set to! So, I should just set the mains & center to large (full range) & leave the surrounds set to small at 80Hz.. correct?!

Thanks for the help, Phil B.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
OK - that clarification now makes sense.

I'm not familiar with your speakers, but very very few speaker would qualify as large - especially any centers. My guess is that all your speakers should be small. There have been a lot of threads on this topic.

Ed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed,

I be leave the Infinity Beta 50's are considered full range.. I have them running as Large because 1) I don't have a sub. 2) They have very good bass output. If I set them to small at 60Hz I get some bass, but nothing like w/set to Large. My setup is in a fairly small room, about 11x14 & w/the 50's you can feel the bass & it rattles things in the room pretty good! lol

Here are the speaker specs, does this help any with determining the x-over point?

BETA 50 Specs:

Frequency Response:

35Hz-20KHz (-6dB)

30Hz-40KHz.

Crossover Frequency:

600Hz 18dB/Octave.

3,200Hz 12dB/Octave.

Power Handling: 10-250 Watts.

BETA C360:

Frequency Response:

45Hz-40KHz.

50Hz-40KHz.

Crossover Frequency:

500Hz 3,200 Hz 12dB/Octave.

Power Handling: 10-200 Watts.

Again, Thanks, Phil B.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As you don't have SUB, just put all your speakers FULL (option1), or put your center to small and let your other speakers handle base(option2). Just experiment and choose your best setup.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
The Beta 50's are in fact full range, as their FR is down to 30htz. Now that's not as low as most subs, but considered full range.

So set the 50's to full and all the rest to small, @ 80htz. Then all the sub 80 sound from the center and surrounds will be routed to the 50's

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/12910098

The Beta 50's are in fact full range as their FR is down to 30htz. Now that's not as low as most subs, but considered full range.

So set the 50's to full and all the rest to small, @ 80htz. Then all the sub 80 sound from the center and surrounds will be routed to the 50's

I disagree with the characterization of the 50s as full range. They're already 6 db down at 35 hz. That's pretty significant. I'm used to seeing only 3 db down points. So what are they at 20hz? But I do agree with the suggestion, as long as you don't play it loud, or listen to classical or techno music, or watch much action movies.

To be safe, if it were me, I would probably set everything to small, so that when you do get a subwoofer, the speakers will have survived the wait.

If you must consider them large, don't let it lull you into a sense that you don't need to upgrade to a sub.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsens /forum/post/12916242

I disagree with the characterization of the 50s as full range. They're already 6 db down at 35 hz. That's pretty significant. I'm used to seeing only 3 db down points.

If you must consider them large, don't let it lull you into a sense that you don't need to upgrade to a sub.

FR is from the Infinity web site.

Frequency Response (±3dB) 35Hz - 20kHz

30Hz - 40kHz (- 6dB)

Like I said before, they won't go as low as a sub, but they're low enough to run full range, until a sub is purchased.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/12921634

...until a sub is purchased.

Fair enough. But since the OP said "don't have/need a sub", I felt that your post that they are "in fact" full range and are "considered" full range needed the qualifier which you accidentally omitted from your 1st post. I feel that he does need a sub.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help all.

As for a sub.. I'm quite happy with the bass from the 50's for now, although, I would like to get a decent sub sometime in the future & run the 50's as small at 60-80Hz.

Just this last summer I rented the Lord of The Rings movies, they gave the 50's quite a workout! lol A buddy was staying with me & had me rent them (I had only seen The Two Towers) & he was like "Wow.. watching them in "HD" (up-converted to "HD" w/my current DVD player) with your audio system was awesome!" I was like.. yeah, I wish I had the Beta C360 center channel to go along with the 50's! lol

Speaking of the C360, it got here yesterday, now, where to put this MONSTER.. this thing is like two & a half of my last center!

I currently have the receiver set as follows:

Mains: Large.

Center & Surrounds: Small @ 80Hz.

Does anyone know where to find a suspended/hanging type shelf that would fit the C360.. I've done a google search & can't seem to find anyone that sells them!?

I would just buy a TV mounted type center shelf (I've got a PHILIPS 30" CRT HDTV) but the C360 seems to not be magnetically shielded.. I set it on the tv to see how it would look & it turned the top 3-4" of the tv into a rainbow!? I don't want to send it off to Infinity for repair, it's no big deal, plus, I think it would look cool hanging from the sealing!? Any ideas?

Again, Thanks for the input, Phil B.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsens /forum/post/12924883

Fair enough. But since the OP said "don't have/need a sub", I felt that your post that they are "in fact" full range and are "considered" full range needed the qualifier which you accidentally omitted from your 1st post. I feel that he does need a sub.

I wasn't stating that the 50 need a sub, just that IF sniper_06 decided at a later time he wanted to add one, then the 50's could be set to small.

In the room I'm in right now I have a pair of JBL L212s, wall mounted, which are designed to be used with a sub, as their system xo is at 70 htz. But this pair is running full range, no sub. The bass produced is quite low, much lower than 70 htz, as they gain boundry reinforcement from the wall. And being a sealed design, roll off natrually to about 40 htz, when no sub is used. I'm I getting "sub" frequencies, no, but the system is not my main HT or even my main stereo system.

The point is, if sniper_06 is happy with the bass as is produced by the 50's then there is no reason to add a sub.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts