AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a KEF 2005.2 5.1 speaker setup, and trying to place the center channel for the best impact. Right now I've placed it slightly below sitting level in my TV stand, and I'm thinking I can improve the imaging of voices and projection of center channel effects by moving it closer to ear level. I'm told you should place the center on top of the TV. Problem is, that I run a Samsung 50" rear projection DLP that has a very thin profile at the top of the unit. I have searched the net and found a few solutions. I'm thinking this will do:

http://www.efunctional.com/cch1b.html

Anyhow, my question is whether the vibration caused by the center will damage the internals of the TV over time. I know that there is a color wheel and other moving components inside of the TV, so I'm trying to avoid any problems down the road. Can anyone shed some light on whether this is a valid concern?

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee20 /forum/post/12978605

I'm running a KEF 2005.2 5.1 speaker setup, and trying to place the center channel for the best impact. I'm told you should place the center on top of the TV. Problem is, that I run a Samsung 50" rear projection DLP that has a very thin profile at the top of the unit. I have searched the net and found a few solutions. I'm thinking this will do:

Anyhow, my question is whether the vibration caused by the center will damage the internals of the TV over time. I know that there is a color wheel and other moving components inside of the TV, so I'm trying to avoid any problems down the road. Can anyone shed some light on whether this is a valid concern?

Your speaker should not be vibrating, or at least vibrating a such a significant level that it could cause any damage to the television or itself. I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and finally decided to purchase a TV stand that could hold my speaker as opposed to using that omni mount product.

Having no personal experience with I cant say that it will or will not work, but, I wouldn't worry about a large amount of vibration coming from your speaker either.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:

I'm running a KEF 2005.2 5.1 speaker setup, and trying to place the center channel for the best impact. Right now I've placed it slightly below sitting level in my TV stand, and I'm thinking I can improve the imaging of voices and projection of center channel effects by moving it closer to ear level. I'm told you should place the center on top of the TV. Problem is, that I run a Samsung 50" rear projection DLP that has a very thin profile at the top of the unit. I have searched the net and found a few solutions. I'm thinking this will do:

I have purchased this shelf myself recently. It has its pros & cons.The shelf is really sturdy itself w/o being too heavy. The rear support legs needs to be a little more heavy duty though. However if you don't mind modifying. The whole setup can be easily modified and comes completely disassembled . I think it will not have a problem supporting your size of center channel.

I too have a Samsung DLP. The problem with my use is - my center channel weighs 27 lbs. and way too heavy for the TV to support. The rear cabinet of the TV will bow in if there is too much weight on it. Another thing to consider is you may want to use industrial strength velcro to make sure the speaker is not easily knocked off and secure the shelf to the TV. I would use heavy duty two sided tape where the rear support legs meet the TV.

I bought this shelf to make a speaker stand to sit behind the tv to appear to make a floating center channel. I will be making it out of square steel tubing and steel plates and brackets. I would have bought a whole new entertainment center but it is expensive for one. My DLP is a 56" model and I use fairly large speakers. I wouldn't have any room left in my living room.

one thing I know there isn't a lot of options out there though. Without having to buy a new entertainment center.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

I've used that exact mount on a 50" Samsung DLP (with color wheel) for a year so far, and I use the TV and speakers every day. No problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts