AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 42" Panny (hopefully it should arrive by Fri) and I have one small issue I still havent's resolved. What do I do with my center channel speaker (from the HT setup)??? Here's the problem - Right now I have the speaker comfortably resting on top of my 27" CRT (at least one advantage good ol' CRTs have over plasma). Once my new plasma replaces the CRT, balancing a 1' deep speaker on top of a 5" thick plasma will no longer be an option. The way my HT is setup, I have no space under the TV for the speaker... so what do I do? can anyone recommend anything? I've seen some center channel speaker stands before, and was thinking that maybe I can find one tall enough to clear my plasma so that the speaker sits on the stand above the display (with the stand positioned behind the plasma). Has anyone explored that route?

thanks

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I'm still holding off on my Plasma until I solve my center dilema... I'm searching for a stand that would have room for the center just below the screen, or possibly installing a shelf on the wall.

I've also thought about buildign a small stand for the plasma that the center can fit under.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Depending upon several factors , aesthetics, size and weight of speaker included you have a couple obvious choices.

A. You could mount a shelf above the plasmas (attached to the wall).

B. Or attached to the PDP, (size and weight limited).

Here were some suggestions I made before for a DIY solution for Schex (He ended up going with elevating the PDP and put the center channel underneath).

Front view:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...732&fullpage=1

Rear View:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...744&fullpage=1

Bracket:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...311&fullpage=1

With any approach, be sure to leave breathing room above the Panel.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had exactly this problem, and with an Aeriel center speaker -- a seriously large, heavy center.

I went with an OmniMount 60.0 WA Series wall mount from racksandstands.com, with the "under speaker" mounting option (the 60.0 series holds up to 60 pounds; they have others across a variety of weights from 20 to 120 pounds). So as to not drill holes in the bottom of my speaker, I also got a Rubbermaid shelf from Home Depot and attached this shelf to the Omnimount, then put the speaker on the shelf. Mounted all this on the wall over the plasma.

Looks good, works good, easy to do.

I actually tilted the mount down significantly so that the speaker is firing at the seated position, and put a lip on the front of the shelf to retain the speaker, but that might be more trouble than you want to do. If you don't mind holes in the bottom the the speaker, you can attach the speaker directly to the Omnimount.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ivid - I had the exact same problem and Brucer is the real deal, he worked with me and created a fantastic solution for me which I haven't seen before or since - check out this old thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=schex

see my gallery or read through to the end of the thread for some pics.

Shadowspawn how about a pic of that stand?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I struggled with this also. I had a huge Def Tech center that couldn't mount anywhere on the wall, above or below, without looking terrible.

I decided to forgo whatever audiophile sensibilites I had, and used my 2 main speakers in Phantom Center mode. After positioning the mains so that stereo and center sounded appropriate, I was and am very impressed. I haven't missed my center once. I know it isn't ideal, but it works well assuming your main fronts have good imaging.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had exactly this same issue with my Panny 42" and came up with the same solution as NickChicago. My setup sounds awesome with the center channel revectored through the 2 fronts and looks extremely neat. If you have decent fronts and a good receiver you don't miss the center at all in my experience - and you can be sure the "center" is *perfectly* matched with the fronts this way :)

Sound quality has not been impacted at all IMHO and aesthetics improved significantly.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mandingo
I had exactly this same issue with my Panny 42" and came up with the same solution as NickChicago. My setup sounds awesome with the center channel revectored through the 2 fronts and looks extremely neat. If you have decent fronts and a good receiver you don't miss the center at all in my experience - and you can be sure the "center" is *perfectly* matched with the fronts this way :)

Sound quality has not been impacted at all IMHO and aesthetics improved significantly.

Same thing here. I don't use a center speaker more than 4 years. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.