AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one got any great ideas on where to place a center channel speaker with a wall mounted plasma? I'm wall mounting my 58" Panasonic PZ800U and extending it about 2 feet out from the wall. I'd like to place my center channel right below the plasma (floating) or above it, but I can't find any shelf or mount to achieve this.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. B-Tech BT15 Center channel speaker wall mount Black; from Crutchfield thru Amazon or just call Crutchfield directly. They're a real quality retailer.

p.s. also, search amazon using "center channel shelf mount"; there's a Sanus over the TV shelf, but (personally) didn't think that would look very good.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster /forum/post/15575139

Any one got any great ideas on where to place a center channel speaker with a wall mounted plasma? I'm wall mounting my 58" Panasonic PZ800U and extending it about 2 feet out from the wall. I'd like to place my center channel right below the plasma (floating) or above it, but I can't find any shelf or mount to achieve this.

Any ideas?

What's the dimensions of your center speaker?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15575696

.. B-Tech BT15 Center channel speaker wall mount Black; from Crutchfield thru Amazon or just call Crutchfield directly. They're a real quality retailer.

p.s. also, search amazon using "center channel shelf mount"; there's a Sanus over the TV shelf, but (personally) didn't think that would look very good.

I've considered the BT15, but the problem is that'll put my center channel on the wall while my plasma is 2 feet extended from the wall as well as my front speakers which are 3 feet from the wall.

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster /forum/post/15575960

I've considered the BT15, but the problem is that'll put my center channel on the wall while my plasma is 2 feet extended from the wall as well as my front speakers which are 3 feet from the wall.

That shouldn't matter if it's not rear ported (or are you writing of aesthetics?). Center channel has to be front and center. Yes, there may be an "optimum" height position, but it seems you've already dictated that...the distance matters less (as long as the deviation from the fronts is not too great. You can compensate for the differences in the receiver (distance and volume level). If it's that critical, you can always get the mount you want and have a shop (or buddy) modify it for you.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndn /forum/post/15578393

That shouldn't matter if it's not rear ported (or are you writing of aesthetics?). Center channel has to be front and center. Yes, there may be an "optimum" height position, but it seems you've already dictated that...the distance matters less (as long as the deviation from the fronts is not too great. You can compensate for the differences in the receiver (distance and volume level). If it's that critical, you can always get the mount you want and have a shop (or buddy) modify it for you.

How about this one ? Has anyone tried it ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...UNT-_-82798078

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I got a low cost floating shelf and bracket at a Dixieline home improvement store for under $20 total. They have several size brackets that mount with a couple wood screws or drywall anchors as well as different length wood shelves in a variety of color shades.

Home depot stores have some similar items.

I got the smallest one about 24" wide, 8" deep and can hold at least 50lbs - works well for my center channel speaker that is under 20lbs and about 18"wide x 7"deep

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndn /forum/post/15578393

My center channel is a JBL Studio Center II and it is indeed rear ported. If I use the BT15 shelf mounted directly to the wall then my center speaker will be almost 3 feet behind my front speakers and 2 feet behind (yet below) my plasma since the plasma is going to be extended 2 feet from the wall (I'm using this mount from Monoprice: Mount 3725 ).

That NewEgg item posted above looks interesting but there's very very little info in the product specifications and zero customer reviews.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You can place the center speaker either above or below the display, just make sure that the tweeter distribution pattern covers the area where the viewers will be seated.

·
Vendor
32,790 Posts
I am going to be in this situation, I have no answer either. Just picked up these bad boys
>
. The center channel is pretty big aslong with everything else.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had the same problem combining my wall-mounted Pioneer 6010 with my center channel speaker (a Klipsch KLF-C7, 27"l x 9"w x 11"h, weighs 38lbs.). I finally gave up on a reasonable (from both the practicality and appearance standpoints) solution to also mount this honkin' big speaker on the wall, and decided on a "lowboy A/V cabinet" located beneath the TV. The speaker sits centered on top of the furniture, and I adjusted the TV mount so that the bottom of the 6010's bezel is just above the 'C7. This gives quite a bit of back-to-front placement flexibility for the 'C7, and also provides storage for all of my peripheral electronics.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS /forum/post/15585709

You can place the center speaker either above or below the display, just make sure that the tweeter distribution pattern covers the area where the viewers will be seated.

It's not an issue of whether to place it above or below, it's more an issue of HOW to place it above or below a wall-mounted plasma that is extended 2 feet from the wall. In other words, my plasma will be floating, so I need a way to place my center speaker (which is pretty big) at the same position (2 feet from the wall) as my plasma and my front speakers.

I can't seem to find much in the form of a bracket that'll connect to the wall mount and allow me to hang the center speaker right below the TV. I'm also worried about adding the extra weight of the center channel to the mount.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I found some commercial shelf brackets - RAKKS - that are adjustable and extremely strong and mounted them on 3 studs.
http://www.rakks.com/products/brackets.html

Similar to the bargain basic wall brackets found at the big box stores but much nicer and stronger. My center channel speaker weighs around 70# and is above my tv. I put a piece of 3/8" tempered glass and it almost looks like it is floating from the front. I have it set up just barely above the top edge of the tv so is not very noticable. The wall standard is barely above the top of the shelf so most of it is below and hidden behind the tv. The shelf bracket extends 18" but they make up to 24" if that is long enough for you.

Pete

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15586233

I am going to be in this situation, I have no answer either. Just picked up these bad boys
>
. The center channel is pretty big aslong with everything else.

Did you actually receive these already?....

Never mind- Just saw your site- I always thought the Audio Insider was the only place to get Swan speakers... Didn't know you sold these as well-

have you heard the 2.5 system? Any feedback? I didn't see a thread for these in the speaker forum-

too bad you guys are so far away- I would love to hear these....

Let me know if someone in Northern Cal purchases- maybe I can trade a bottle of wine or something for a listen...

Cheers,

kevin

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan123 /forum/post/15587159

Here's more information, I'm looking at this as a possible solution and I was hoping someone might have used it already.

http://omnimount.com/consumer/produc...rentId=9.2.1.1

Thanks for the link. I looked into the spec sheet and instructions and I'm afraid this product won't work for me for 2 reasons: 1) It expects the center channel speaker to have rear mounting holes which mine doesn't, 2) I don't think it'll be compatible with my Monoprice wall mount.

Hope it works out for you. I'm still looking for a solution

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster /forum/post/15587519

It's not an issue of whether to place it above or below, it's more an issue of HOW to place it above or below a wall-mounted plasma that is extended 2 feet from the wall. In other words, my plasma will be floating, so I need a way to place my center speaker (which is pretty big) at the same position (2 feet from the wall) as my plasma and my front speakers.

I can't seem to find much in the form of a bracket that'll connect to the wall mount and allow me to hang the center speaker right below the TV. I'm also worried about adding the extra weight of the center channel to the mount.

You don't need to place the center speaker at the same distance from the wall as the plasma. It can be anywhere, as long as it is in the center (left and right-wise) and has good sound coverage of the listening area. You could just bolt it to the wall, for example; or, you could just let it stand on the floor beneath the set if there is room. In fact, if you are mounting the plasma to the wall, just mount it high enough so there is room, and then you can use a good, no-compromise floor standing speaker in the center. That would be the ideal solution.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS /forum/post/15602513

You don't need to place the center speaker at the same distance from the wall as the plasma. It can be anywhere, as long as it is in the center (left and right-wise) and has good sound coverage of the listening area. You could just bolt it to the wall, for example; or, you could just let it stand on the floor beneath the set if there is room. In fact, if you are mounting the plasma to the wall, just mount it high enough so there is room, and then you can use a good, no-compromise floor standing speaker in the center. That would be the ideal solution.

I'm not trying to get it at the same distance from the wall as the plasma. However, shouldn't it at least be close to the same distance from the wall as my front L/R speakers? They are 2-3 feet from the wall.

Now I'm looking into hanging the center channel below the plasma (floating). The Omnimount bracket posted above won't work with my Monoprice wall mount and with my center channel. I might end up building something custom. My other option is a B-Tech BT14 shelf to put the center channel above the plasma but I'm not sure yet how well that'll work.

·
Vendor
32,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 /forum/post/15588947

Did you actually receive these already?....Cheers,

kevin

OK, I will let these pictures out, however I have been so busy in the last 3 months my head is just stopping from spinning. I threw this room together because I could wait no longer to hear this system. Yep its a mess but a dream. Where does one put a center channel when it is this big?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts