AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for (DIY) ideas for a center channel speaker design. My projector is pointed at a drop down screen, which drops down behind a wood panel that hides the projector screen and stuff.

The wood panel (which is where the center channel speaker is mounted), is 8ft long, and 12 inches high, mounted at the ceiling.

My Front speakers are a pair of high-efficiency Klipsch Herresey II's, and a DIY Shiva for a sub-woofer. I have a center channel speaker that I built (which I do not like), which uses a home-brew 2nd order. I am prepared to replace the drivers and/or the cross-over with something better. It's a pain in the neck (and other places) to pull that wood panel down, so I don't get to tweak inductors & capacitors too much.

If the answer is that the speaker needs to be in a box (sealed or ported), then I guess I can manage that also. It would be heavier, and I would need to amortize my cubic inches along the 8 ft length. Depth is only about 6 inches. Any more, and I'll have to negotiate with the war-department.

Thanks!

Bryan.:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, to get any real bass from any speaker, it needs to be in a box, sealed or ported depending on the design. I designed and built my own center using two Axon 8" drivers and a planar tweeter. The box is a ported 2ft^3 unit and matches fairly well with my fronts. It's a very large center, but I am very happy with the sound. My old center is a Klipsch KV-2 and it sounds very thin compared to mine. So, I feel successful.

It sounds like you have a limitation on speaker placement and 6" depth is really going to limit your options. The ideal placement for the center is suppose to be even with your mid/tweeters, in the vertical direction. I think this is difficult in most people's systems. I have a Sony 57" WS, so my center sits about 12" off the floor just in front of the tv. It actually blends quite well with the fronts when the effects pan from left to right or vice-versa.

I hope this helps some.

DAVE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.