AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I watch movies on my system, I find that the dialog that comes from the center channel is hard to understand. I have tried increasing the volume on the center channel (although all channels are properly balanced using a SPL meter), and it only mildly helps. My center channel speaker is a Legacy Audio Silverscreen II and the processor is a Rotel RSP-1098. I have an Anthem AVM50v on order and I hope that will improve the problem, but was just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to improve the clarity of dialog.

Thanks,

Aram

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/16962769

When I watch movies on my system, I find that the dialog that comes from the center channel is hard to understand. I have tried increasing the volume on the center channel (although all channels are properly balanced using a SPL meter), and it only mildly helps. My center channel speaker is a Legacy Audio Silverscreen II and the processor is a Rotel RSP-1098. I have an Anthem AVM50v on order and I hope that will improve the problem, but was just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to improve the clarity of dialog.

Thanks,

Aram

Make sure that a speaker is not blown.

Make sure that the speaker is aimed properly at the listening position and not buried in a rack or cabinet.

A new AVR/processor is not going to fix the problem unless the old one is broken, and you have not determined that.

It does make a handy excuse to give the spousal unit in order to justify buying a new processor or AVR.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Are the wires connected correctly + to + and - to -?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,

Aram

Have you switched the wires from the left speaker to the center, just to check the channels out? Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Folks, the OP said all channels are balanced, therefore all channels work.

However, the signal used for channel balancing is a band limited pink noise signal. If a tweeter is blown, you will still hear the center speaker, but the high frquencies from the tweeter will be missing, resulting in a somewhat muffled and hard to hear center channel.

Polarity problems will manifest themselves by lack of bass. Switching channels between speakers will not isolate a blown tweeter as the center speaker will sound muffled regardless of which channel it is connected to.

This kind of problem is typically a miss-aimed center (at best) or a blown tweeter (at worst).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Currently the speaker sits about 15" off the floor (below the screen) aimed slightly upward at the listener. I am thinking maybe it is a blown tweeter. How would I go about testing for this?

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/16963707

Thanks for all the replies. Currently the speaker sits about 15" off the floor (below the screen) aimed slightly upward at the listener. I am thinking maybe it is a blown tweeter. How would I go about testing for this?

Simplest way is to have the receiver play the pink noise through the center. Get close to the speaker, cover the mids and put your ear by the tweeter. Are you getting anything out of it?

You could also download some sine waves (anything above 4kHz or so should be coming mainly out of the tweeter). Just make sure you play these at low levels.

You could also take the speaker apart, disconnect the tweeter from the crossover network, and measure the resistance across it. 0 means it fried to a short. infinite resistance means it fried to an open. I'm guessing it should read anywhere between 3 and 7 ohms DC resistance. I don't know what tweeter is in there...

Actually I just looked at the speaker. Looks like it has 2 mids, a ribbon for the mid-highs, and a small dome tweeter for the highs. Make sure you check both the ribbon and the dome tweeter. If either are damaged (or any of the crossover components) then you will have major changes in the frequency response of the speaker.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/16963707

No need to do anything fancy with pink noise, sine waves or taking the speaker apart (yet).

Just play some program material with known high frequency content (not too loud) and put your ear right up against the tweeter and give it a listen. You'll know right away if the tweeter is blown because all you will hear is the sound of silence. Or maybe some seriously distorted sound depending on the failure mode.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,

Aram

My suggestion would be to change the location of the center channel speaker. (I know it may not be possible or easy.) Assuming you "balanced" your system with pink noise from the receiver, speech does not last long enough to "fill the room" like pink noise. Speech is much more transient than steady-state pink noise.

Just as a test, put the speaker right in the middle of the screen and see if it sounds better. If it does, then you need to consider getting a perf screen and putting the speakers behind the screen, just like a real theatre.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
could it possibly just be that you don't listen loud enough for the vocals to be loud enough to be heard clearly? i know sometimes when i watch movies at to low of a volume the dialog seems to be to quiet. raising the volume or using "night" mode helps to bring the dialog to decent levels.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16968675

could it possibly just be that you don't listen loud enough for the vocals to be loud enough to be heard clearly? i know sometimes when i watch movies at to low of a volume the dialog seems to be to quiet. raising the volume or using "night" mode helps to bring the dialog to decent levels.

What do you listen to when you set your volume control? I'd expect it to be the dialogue. If the rest of the film is too loud when you listen at low volume, engage "midnight mode." Then you might be OK.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts

Quote:

This kind of problem is not at all uncommon and points to poor in-room acoustics and/or a poor center channel or poor center channel placement. Directors and producers pay those people enormous sums of money to speak the lines trippingly and their expectation is that you, the audience, actually understand what is being said.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input. I took the speaker apart and disconnected the two mid-range drivers. The sound from the ribbon was very soft/muffled and the dome tweeter was very distorted.

I emailed Legacy yesterday afternoon and had a telephone conversation with Doug Brown, the vice president of Legacy, this morning. He indicated that it sounded like a bad voice coil on both the tweeter and ribbon driver and will be sending me replacements.

Aram

·
Registered
16,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/16977215

Thanks for all the input. I took the speaker apart and disconnected the two mid-range drivers. The sound from the ribbon was very soft/muffled and the dome tweeter was very distorted.

I emailed Legacy yesterday afternoon and had a telephone conversation with Doug Brown, the vice president of Legacy, this morning. He indicated that it sounded like a bad voice coil on both the tweeter and ribbon driver and will be sending me replacements.

Did you always have issues with it since you first began using it? Or was the unintelligibility something new?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/16977215

Aram

BINGO! Good job.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/16977415

Did you always have issues with it since you first began using it? Or was the unintelligibility something new?

I have only used these speakers for music until building the new home theater. I did accidentally short out the amp one day (dropping a screwdriver across the terminals) and the resulting 'pop' could have destroyed the drivers as well.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16968675

With reasonable room acoustics (can be a room with the stuff we like to surround ourselves with, like book filled shelves, drapes, etc.), noise floor, speaker placement, and not abysmal speakers it shouldn't be a problem.

Before I destroyed my noise floor with the move from direct view to front projection and being too busy to build a hushbox, reference -30dB was fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.