AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add a center speaker to my system, for under $1000. My left and right speakers are custom made bookshelf speakers based on Scan Speak drivers (9900 soft dome tweeter, 15w/8530 midwoofers). I decided that I've got too much going on now to build another, and resale value of custom speakers isn't that great so I'm looking to buy an off the shelf center.

I also prefer a low height (approx 6-7") because otherwise I would have to raise my screen.

I listened at Magnolia/Best Buy to all the centers they had, and I liked the $650 B&W CM center speaker best out of all the speakers they had on display. Then I went to a higher end audio dealer and auditioned the same B&W CM against the Vienna Acoustics Theatro ($800) which I liked much more, finding it both less fatiguing and more dynamic. So for now that's the speaker to beat; I feel like anything less would be a compromise.

I realized that I probably like the sound of soft dome (silk) tweeters over metallic, so I'm looking for a dynaudio dealer in my area. Canton is another brand I'd like to audition.

Any other suggestions for a sub $1000 center with silk dome sound?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bought my Canton speakers a few months ago and love them. I have the GLE 455 center speaker. I would recommend at least giving them a listen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.